55. Distrust

Shifra's POV
Jill and Eustace were adamant that we should go to Harthang, the giant castle the woman had invited us to. Both refused to meet my gaze and did not believe me when I said I couldn't get into their minds if I wanted to, for whatever the witch had done left me with much pain when attempting to get into anyone's mind. Zyan, Zyanister, and Puddleglum were the only ones in our group that were talking to me.

"We can't go!" Zyan exclaimed as we were waiting for dinner to be ready, "What evidence have we seen that she means us well? What have we seen to make us think we can trust her?"

"What have you seen that makes you trust her," Jill muttered bitterly.

"I don't know," Zyan replied, "Maybe her thousand plus years of faithful service to Narnia? If she was really as terrible of a person as you seem to want to make her out to be wouldn't it have shown in her actions already?"

"Whatever," Jill huffed.

"They do have a bit of a point about her, Pole." Eustace muttered.

Jill turned to him in annoyance, "You're not seriously siding with them?"

"Look," he explained, "She saved my life more than once, ok? That was when I was a arrogant prat too."

"So you can honestly save that she has never been snappy with you or anything to indicate being what we now know her to be?" Jill countered. My mind flashed to the voyage when I had snapped at him after the weeks of hard rain and no rest. Eustace and i made brief eye contact before Jill voiced, "See! You've had evidence, you've had proof for ages."

"Snapping at an arrogant and idiotic boy when you have been physically and mentally drained does not make you a terrible person," Eustace countered. The two continued to bicker while I stood, dusting myself off and walking a distance from them.

"That's how you knew, wasn't it," Zyanister asked, for he had followed me. "That's how you knew what I was feeling?"

"I was not aware I had done it, but yes, that is how I knew," I replied, refusing to look at him.

Coming to stand in front of me, he comforted, "You're not a terrible person. You used what was at your disposal to try and help us. It would have done her no harm if you had managed to break through so you did nothing wrong."

I simply nodded and stated, "I'm going to sleep here for the night. Tell the others for me? I don't want to see any of them right now, well apart from Zyan or you." He nodded and left me be. When the sun had set, I covered myself with my blanket, clock, and wings and lay down to rest. The stars shone above me, twinkling like diamonds under light.

I heard the sound of footsteps behind me, but I pretended to be asleep

I heard the sound of footsteps behind me, but I pretended to be asleep. "Shifra," Eustace's voice called softly, "Look, I'm sorry ok. We all are going to talk over together what to do in the morning. I still don't agree with what you did, but I understand why you did it. Just please come to discuss with us what to do." Retreating footsteps pounded off and I opened my eyes, gazing once again to the stars.