35 ✧ present

"Three old friends bonding like they were children once more."
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

This wasn't how (y/n) expected the rest of her day to go like. No, actually this wasn't how she expected any of her days to go like. She has expected for her to do her normal routine, one that was perfected over the years. But with everything happening the last days she should have expected for her normal routine to be disrupted.

The harsh sun beating down on her brought her out of her thoughts. Beads of sweats forming on her forehead and sliding down the back of her neck. Despite feeling overheated, (y/n) had much time over the years to get used to the change of weather. Though the extra body heat that was perturbing off her two companions as they walked closely besides her didn't help her cool down the slightest.

This is what was unusual about her day. The fact that she had only one male accompanying her but two males alongside her. Gaara wasn't one that usually came with her to pick up the three young boys but there were exceptions that he found enough time to finish paperwork earlier so that he could come and pick up Shinki with (y/n). But that was rare itself so (y/n) had no troubles with picking up Shinki, who happened to like not only her company but was friends with Nomi and Daisuke.

Today it seemed that Gaara would come with her along with Naruto, which was quite unexpected. The blond male had reasoned that he wanted to get to know the boys even better and figured because of the morning that it would be best to continue getting to know them. (Y/n) could understand the logic behind his reasoning but wasn't too sure how the boys were going to take it when they saw the male with her again.

Nomi and Daisuke could put on sweet faces towards the world and the people living there but when it came to new people still lingering in their own personal bubble. The twins became more restless and annoyed that the stranger was still around them. (Y/n) wouldn't know what to do if the boys snapped at Naruto for being around them too long. She didn't think she had enough strength within her to deal with three pouty children, and that was including the blond male who happened to act like a child sometimes.

"Do you two usually come together to pick up the boys?" Naruto curiously questioned the two. His hands currently resting on the back of his head as he took a quick glance to his friends, waiting for their responses.

Gaara shook his head, "No, most times I'm too busy to pick up Shinki. I have other people come and pick him up but Shinki and I both prefer (y/n) to pick him up. I'm very grateful."

"It's honestly no problem. Shinki is well behaved and he's very attached to the twins and the twins attached to him." (Y/n) reassured with a smile.

Naruto visibly perked up, "Are they best friends then?" Dropping his hands from the back of his head to let them lay besides his sides.

"Yes, I'm happy that Shinki can trust them enough to open up to them. It reassured me because I didn't have friends growing up." Gaara steadily replied, giving the blond male a small smile. Before turning back to look ahead of them, clearly reminiscing about his own not so great childhood.

"It's good to have people to rely on. If I can say, Naruto was my first best friend." (Y/n) pointed out, thinking about her own childhood. Ignoring a rough patch before focusing on the many friendships she had over the course of her teen years. Friendships that she gave up on once she restarted her whole life here in Suna.

"Naruto was also my first friend." Gaara agreed with a melancholic tone.

(Y/n) grinned, "Gaara is now my best friend though. Isn't that right?" Walking closer the redhead and playfully nudging him, smiling victoriously at the roll of the eyes the male gave her but equally paired with a twitch of his corner lips. She liked when he tried to deny the obvious amusement she brought him.

"I'm happy that they have these friendships. They're very lively, Nomi more so than Daisuke, but still very lively." Naruto said with a grin.

Gaara couldn't help but snort, "Daisuke doesn't trust you, does he?" (Y/n) also snickered at the dejected look that was placed on the whiskered-faced male. Seemingly pouting at the previous interactions he had with his eldest son.

"No, all he does when he's around me is look at me warily and pout at his mother. When he talks it's only to (y/n) or Nomi. He reminds me of Sasuke." The grown man whined, the pout still adorned on his face.

"You can't insult Sasuke when he isn't around Naruto, also Daisuke would take that as a compliment. He so happens to cherish his uncle." (Y/n) laughed, knowing that not only Daisuke but Nomi as well both held high regards to their uncle.

"Does he ignore Gaara too?" Naruto questioned.

"No," Gaara denied. "I've known them since they were babies. They very much respect me, which I'm thankful of because they can be quite rude when they want to be."

"They like Gaara very much, almost as much as Sasuke and me." (Y/n) agreed before frowning herself, "His name was their first word." (Y/n) still held a grudge about that incident, shooting a glare to the redhead that was smirking at the memory.

"I can only hope that they like me as much as they seem to like Gaara." Naruto said thoughtfully. "I'm happy that they have a male figure that they can look up to." His blue eyes giving Gaara a knowing stare. The redhead giving him a slight nod before turning back to look at the building they were nearing.

As the three friends neared the academy, parents and children alike near the building. (Y/n) paused alongside Gaara when they noticed that Naruto had stopped walking. A worried look plastered on his face as he uncharacteristically fiddled with his fingers. Seemingly contemplating about something hard.

Naruto sighed dejectedly, "I don't think that the twins will be happy to see me again. I think that I should leave."

Before (y/n) could do the best she could to reassure him that he was wrong, even though the little voice in he said that he was actually right. Gaara had beat her to the punchline.

"They won't like you if you don't bother to get to know them. You should know that already. Even if they try to push you away they'll be more grateful later on that you persisted and got to know them." Gaara spoke with a serious tone.

Naruto gave him a curt nod paired with a now more confident grin and stance. (Y/n) trying her best to give him a reassuring smile as all three of them finally headed towards the academy.

_______________________

Trash. My chapters seem to get more worse as I progress along with the story. Enjoy.