34 ✧ present

Let's get this over with.
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

"(Y/n) will you please tell me what's been on your mind now. You've been trying and failing to distract me from my work. It's unprofessional." Gaara sighed, gently reaching out to grab the paper out of the female's hand and placed it down on the desk. His eyes solely focused on the unusually giddy female. He didn't know quite how to feel about this new feature from her.

Especially since the female had been mopey and bipolar for the past couple of days. Even worse the previous day when she had decided to leave. It made him happy that she was now excited but it still left him confused to why exactly she was feeling excited. Granted, he wasn't really sure if she was excited or if that spark of mischief in her dark eyes was why she was currently acting like this. Maybe both he presumed.

"Did my beauty stun you?" (Y/n) lightly teased, making him quickly look away from her and feeling embarrassed with himself. (Y/n)'s teasing always left him either annoyed with her or flustered when he was caught off guard. Such as now. "Your cheeks match your hair. It always pleases me to see you like this." (Y/n) grinned brightly.

Clearing his throat, Gaara tried to will away the heat from his cheeks. "Please refrain from making such remarks. Tell me what's been on your mind. It seems to me that you've been eager to tell me all day."

(Y/n) nodded her head, "Are you willingly going to listen to me or you just doing this because you have to?"

All she got in return was a pointed look from the male, making it clear that she just need to get on with what she had to say. Which she heavily debated in her mind if she should still continue to act coy and naive so that her light teasing would annoy her friend. But readily decided to just put him out of his misery and tell him what had came to be from the previous day. Besides she was ready to move on with this.

"So, Naruto meet Daisuke and Nomi." She slowly started, amused by the visible shock that was displayed on Gaara's face. It was adamant because she had never really planned to let Naruto know about the boys; she was completely selfish and she knew it.

"How did it go if I can ask?" Gaara questioned, worried for both his friends sake. Worried for how Naruto could have taken the news and worried for (y/n) now that her secret wasn't a secret anymore. And hoping that nothing took a turn for the worse and the two ended up exactly like Naruto and Sasuke. Family he supposed.

"Honestly, everything is a bit hazy. It seemed like it happened so long ago but he unsurprisingly took it really well. I can already tell he loves the boys." (Y/n) smiled. "Nomi seems to have no problem with him and loves the attention on him but Daisuke is wary about him. He couldn't relax around him. I'm hoping with more time Daisuke will be able to be himself around Naruto."

Gaara slowly nodded his head, carefully taking in (y/n)'s words. "The boys happen to know now that Naruto is their father then?"

"Well, not exactly." (Y/n) mumbled, avoiding the knowing stare her friend was giving her. "I'm not ready to tell them yet. I want them to like Naruto for who he is rather than liking him because it's an obligation. Besides Naruto and I have to have a more serious talk about them."

"I think that it's best that Naruto and you have this conversation before anything else. Especially with how Naruto has a whole entirely different life in Konoha. This will be a shock to others when they hear that he has had children out of wedlock with a person who isn't his wife."

"I know." (Y/n) muttered, running a hand through her hair. A familiar stress raising her blood pressure. The sudden anxiety filling her with worry on how she would protect her sons from people's opinions. Knowing very well how the hushed whispers affect people even when the pretend to shrug it off because she had to hear it all her life. The family name she carried brought her a lot of unwanted opinions. The names that were now associated with her sons.

Gaara frowned at how silent the female became. Knowing that she was now thinking about the nearby future. Guilty about how he was the one that had brought the awareness but at the same time wasn't guilty at all. He cared about the female but he wasn't about to let her be completely naive to the world because the world didn't tolerate that.

"How are you taking this?" Gaara questioned, reaching out to put a comforting hand on her shoulder. Willing himself not to become flustered over the small gesture and give her a comforting look.

(Y/n) gave him a small smile, leaning forward out of her seat to face him and reaching out to give him a hug. The male beneath her tensing for a fraction of a second before awkwardly giving into the embrace. (Y/n) smiling into the crook of his shoulder at how awkward Gaara was before pulling away from the redhead.

"I don't want to be bitter anymore and I know by holding this grudge against Naruto I'll never be able to be fully happy." She sighed. "I don't know how all of this will turn out and maybe I could've avoided this by the very beginning but I don't regret it. I think I'm going to be happy seeing Naruto and the boys build a relationship and happy that he will be involved with them."

"I'm happy for you (y/n). This isn't a normal situation granted but I'm happy knowing that you're figuring everything out." Gaara offered her a smile. His eyes staying on her before flickering off to the side. Feeling doubtful about what he was going to ask next but decided to say it anyway. "Does being around Naruto make you feel confused?"

"Confused?" (Y/n) cocked an eyebrow. Wondering where this was going.

She watched at how the male was now uncomfortable. His eyes actively avoiding her gaze and a light sheen of red spreading across his cheeks. He was embarrassed how adorable.

"What I'm trying to say is, does being around with Naruto make you want to be involved with him romantically?"

Gaara's face flushed at the same time (y/n) let out a loud cackle. Her shoulders shaking with mirth at the absurdity of the males question. Finding it both funny and endearing at how worried he was for her. She could only hope that he would never change because this was highly adorable.

"I think, no I know that I will always love him. Maybe the easiest way to get over it was to pretend I hate him because then I could just leave and never look back. I did all of that but it's a kind of love that will never fade, maybe from romantic interest yes, but it will always linger within me." (Y/n) spoke honestly. She loved Naruto but she didn't love him like before. They both changed and (y/n) still remembered all the pain she went through. It wasn't a good idea to develop or rather reignite old feelings. Plus, he was married. She wasn't about to become a home wrecker because she had his kids first.

"I love him with all the love a past relationship felt if, that makes sense."

"I'm glad to hear that." Gaara spoke. Lingering on her before finally turning back to his paperwork. Immensely pleased that (y/n) wasn't about to let herself get hurt again. With that came a peaceful silence between them.

______________________

So this book hasn't been updated in about I don't really know actually and I'm too lazy to look but I wanted to update it. This update isn't actually good, which makes sense because this whole books isn't good, but I'm trying. Also I'm not kidding when I say half this chapter has been completed for months. I've just been too lazy to finish it.

Hopefully I'll be able to keep a steady update stream on this book. Enjoy I guess.