67. The Ape's Lies

Start from the beginning

"Actually," I spoke up icily, "That's called being a dictator. Hum, I wonder who I know who's like that. Maybe the Tisroc? How can you all listen to him, he's..." Before I could say more, the Calormen before me turned and brought his hand across my face. The force knocked me into Jewel and away from Tirian. The crowd of creatures let out a gasp.

"See!" shouted the ape, "Your Queen is a fraud, she doesn't know what she's talking about. She doesn't want you to follow Aslan!" I glared at the ape before me, but said nothing.

"Please," a young lamb pleaded, turning the attention away from me. "I can't understand what we have to do with the Calormens. We belong to Aslan, they belong to Tash. They have a god called Tash. They say he has four arms and the head of a vulture. They kill men on his alter. I don't believe there's any such person as Tash, but if there was, how could Aslan be friends with him?"

Even I was curious how the ape would answer this one, for every creature knew this was the best question asked so far. The ape jumped to his feet and spat at the lamb. "Baby!" he exclaimed, "Silly little bleater! Go home to your mother and drink milk. But to you others, listen. Tash is only another name for Aslan. The Calormens use different words, but we all mean the same thing. That's why there can be no quarrel between them. Get that into your heads you stupid brutes. Tash is Aslan, Aslan is Tash."

Everyone's face had fallen apart from a large, ginger cat. He spoke up, "Excuse me, but this interests me. Does your friend from Calormen say the same?"

"Assuredly," replied the Chief sharply, "Aslan means neither less nor more than Aslan."

"Especially that Aslan means no more than Tash," the cat commented with something of approval in his tone.

This set Tirian off. "Ape!" he cried, "You lie damnably! You lie like a Calormen! You lie like an ape!"

"How could Tash..." I started to add, but two Calormens hit me across the face and knocked my feet from under me. Tirian was laying next to me, but I was so dizzy I had no idea what was happening. When my head had settled, I found I was tied to a tree about two yards from Tirian who had also been tied up.

"I wonder what they've done to Jewel and Azar," Tirian commented, something of sorrow in his tone. We could just heard the ape, but were not close enough to hear his words. About half an hour later the creatures were allowed to leave. Some passed by our trees, but other than pitying glances they all seemed too scared to say much.

When they had left I felt my panic grow. They had tied me at my ankles, knees, waist, and shoulders so tightly that I could not move. I felt trapped and soon I was in a full on panic attack. I began to struggle as best I could against the ropes, tears flowing from my eyes. "Hey," Tirian cried out, "Shifra, Shifra look at me." Through my tears I did, but my panic still consumed me.

(Vivid description of panic attack. If that will bother you skip over this paragraph) Sweat poured from my forehead and I felt as if the ropes were making it hard for me to breathe. It felt as though I was chocking and my entire body trembled. My heart beat uncontrollably as I drew in short, ragged breaths.

"Shifra," Tirian said slowly and calmly. "I need you to take a deep breath ok? Breathe in, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8. Ok, now out 1 2 3 4 5 6. Good, keep going, just think about your breathing." I soon calmed down, but I had to let my mind wander otherwise I'd panic again. I thought of a time when Tirian and I were courting.

I was in the courtyard with my throwing knives. I hit every target perfectly until I felt a pair of arms snaked around my waist. My aim faltered and the blade soared into the wall behind it. "You missed," Tirian pointed out.

Playfully shoving him off me, I smiled and went to retrieve it. "You distracted me!" I defended. Tirian merely smiled and met me halfway when I returned with the knife.

"Listen Shifra, I just wanted to say thank you," he admired, growing serious, "I would have never gotten through losing my father and mother without you."

I smiled at him and replied, "You know I'm always here for you."

"Yeah I do," he whispered. "Thank you, well I'll let you get back to missing targets." Before he could get out of my reach, I hit the back of his head with my wing. "Ouch!" he exclaimed. "You're going to pay for that!" He dashed forward and tackled me to the ground on one of the grassy patches.

Through laughter, I exclaimed, "Tirian!"
..........................
I smiled fondly at the memory, but something was beginning to happen, bringing me out of my memories. A light putter=patter of feet was heard shuffling towards us. I was now nearing dark, but I could just make out three mice, a rabbit, and a two moles. Three went over to Tirian and the other three stayed with me. They moved onto their hind paws and kissed my knees.

"Lord King, Dear Queen," they exclaimed, "we are so sorryfor you. We daren't untie you because Aslan might be angry with us. But we brought your suppers." The creatures began to climb up the ropes until they made a chain up both our bodies. We were both given wine from a small cup and this was refilled a few times. Then we were given a little bit of cheese. Next was oatcakes and some more of the wine.

The mice at the top near Tirian's face began to clean the blood from his face as a result of being hit earlier. I did not think I had any until a soft spong was being dabbed against my face. "Thank you," I said, gratitude clear in my voice.

"How can we thank you for all this?" Tirian asked.

"You needn't, you needn't," said the little voices, "What else could be do? We don't want any other king, we are your people. If it was only the ape and the Calormens we would have fought until we were cut up into little pieces before we let them tie you up. We would, we would indeed, but we can't go against Aslan."

A little mouse was hanging back from the rest and happened to be standing right by my feet. "Do you believe all they're saying?" I asked them.

"I don't know what the think," the mouse answered, "I don't want to believe that Tash and Aslan are the same, but if they are then shouldn't I believe?"

"That's a bit if," I muttered. The creatures left us and we were left alone once again.