Chapter 57: A Mega Dream

Start from the beginning

"Ru ruru," he murmured, eyelids twitching as he tried to search for whatever it was he was looking for. His head briefly tilted in the direction of Ash, Serena and their Pokemon, mainly Absol, before he seemed to focus ahead. It seemed to strain him quite a bit, though, and he stopped after about a minute, breathing heavily.

"It's okay, Riolu," Ash said, petting the young Pokemon on the head. "I bet it's tough, but I thought it was worth a try." He looked ahead to Rockruff as well, seeing the Puppy Pokemon sniffing relentlessly in an attempt to find a trail. He seemed confused, but still wanted to continue, so the group resumed walking, despite still having no clear trail.

After awhile, it was becoming clear they didn't seem to know where to go, and they stopped once more. Serena sighed, wondering what to do. She could see that Ash was frustrated with himself, obviously wanting to help, and felt bad, knowing that while this was technically a school assignment for both of them, it was mainly a quest for her and Absol. He'd done a lot for her already, and she wanted to take the lead.

That's part of the test! she realized suddenly. She looked around, trying to think of what exactly she was being asked to prove. Based on what Calem had said, nobody even seemed to get this far with whatever Abe wanted from them in terms of him giving them information on the Absolite. If that was the case, Serena must've shown him something that only she could do. What was that, though?

Her eyes suddenly fell on something that was behind them, looking like it was hiding behind a tree. She blinked in surprise, realizing it was a Poliwag, possibly the one she'd spotted earlier. It was surely just a coincidence, but Serena was also pretty sure this could have something to do with her "test". She was aspiring to become Kalos Queen one day, and she needed to show what that meant. Absol was part of her team, but it was a team...so maybe she needed to work with all of them.

"Popplio," she suddenly said, looking to her Alolan water type, meeting Absol's eyes briefly as she turned.

"Pop?" Popplio responded, hopping over to her as Ash and the others looked at her curiously.

"I might need you, okay? Can you be ready?" Serena asked, smiling to Popplio. The performing Pokemon nodded happily, looking like she could sense an opportunity to perform approaching, before Serena looked back over to the hiding Poliwag. "Poliwag, can you come out?"

"Poli?" the Poliwag squeaked out, poking its head out, before ducking behind the tree quickly as it looked at all the staring Pokemon. Serena narrowed her eyes, seeing that it appeared most nervous of Absol.

Serena gave it a moment, before she looked to Popplio again, the Sea Lion Pokemon awaiting what it seemed to know was a chance to perform. "Popplio, why don't you show Poliwag your water bubble juggling? I bet it would be really impressed!"

"Serena, what does this...?" Ash trailed off as Serena smiled towards him. He seemed to understand she had a plan then, and just smiled back, looking interested in seeing what she wanted to do.

"Popplio!" Popplio then called out excitedly, hopping onto a nearby tree stump, before blowing out three bubbles and beginning to juggle them. She was quite capable of doing at least five, but Serena knew she liked to save that as the performing went on.

Poliwag seemed impressed by it as it was, though, poking its head out a bit more, and then eventually hopping out from its little hiding place, eyes shining with interest as it watched. "Poliwag!" it cheered, as Popplio added another bubble. Serena joined in, applauding as Popplio stood up higher on her flippers, eventually adding in another bubble for louder cheers, with Ash and the rest of the Pokemon joining in.