mental quriks 101

Start from the beginning

"This is his earliest memory."

A small boy is laying on a hospital bed. His face is covered in an oxygen mask and his eyes are closed. He can't be more than 4 or 5 years old. Red hair is plastered to his forehead by sweat and the hair is burned at the ends. His eyes are weakly opening. The turquoise shining in the bright room.

"He's lucky to be alive ma'am. His body can't handle heat past his hands. Since he's always been such a sickly child, there's no way he'll live past ten years old. I'm so sorry. It would be best to prepare him. I'll keep this under wraps due to the status of your husband. Again, Im so sorry." A mans voice echos.  A woman let's out a pained sob. The young Dabi pulls down the mask.

"Mommy? What's going on?" He asks.

"Nothing sweetheart. You're okay."

"Okay mommy. Where's daddy?"

"Daddy's working sweetheart. He'll be here soon."

"D-did I hurt him? My quirk is really bad!" He cries.

"No it's not. You're okay. Daddy's okay." A hand strokes his head and he relaxes.

"Love you mommy."

"Love you too sweetie." Lips touch his forehead and he closes his eyes.

This memory dissolves and once again, starts changing.

"This is one of his worst memories."

This memory takes place at night and the area is only lite up by a few lights scattered around. From the angle the memory is at you can only see a teenager with the same red hair as the young boy leaning on a counter. His arms are covered in bandages. They must be his scars.

"You aren't going back to UA next year."

"What? I've been in the support department for 2 years! I'm not taking the hero spot in this family."

"You can not attend UA. You'll take attention away from your brother."

"He's only 7 dad. I'll have a job before he's even eligible for UA."

"I said no!"

"You can't control my life anymore!"

"I can do whatever I want! It's not my fault your a failure!"

"I'm the failure?! I'm the failure?! Look at yourself! A power hungry man with no one to love him. At least I have a boy who loves me!"

Silence fills the room. Dabi pales. He knows he said the wrong thing.

"A boy?! A boy?! You can't even love right you disgrace!"

"I can love whoever I want dad. You can't control that."

"YOU ARE NO SON OF MINE!"

"CHECK MY DNA YOU PRICK!" Young Dabi yells.

"YOU ARE SUCH A DISGRACE!"

"YOU PROBABLY WOULDN'T HAVE FUCKING CARED IF I DIED WHEN I WAS TEN! YOU ONLY CARE ABOUT YOUR PERFECT MASTERPIECE OF A KID! ANYTHING LESS YOU HATE!"

"I WISH YOU WERE NEVER BORN!"

Dabi falls silent. He pulls on the corner of the bandages and his eyes glisten.

"Me too." He whispers. The man doesn't see to hear but suddenly a hand grabs Dabi's hair and smashes his face into the counter.

We all gasp and cringe at the crack heard when his face makes contact with the counter top.

The hand lets him go and Dabi slumps to the ground. A thick layer of blood covers his face and he spits out blood at his father.