Midsummer in Valhalla

Start from the beginning

"A flatterer as always, Agnes; but I'm more used to using wits. You know that."

"Yes I do. No wonder Prince Loki has favored you for so long." Your cheeks lightly turned pink, good thing you were already wearing blush so it wasn't as obvious.

"He will likely punish you for speaking lies, dear Agnes." You chuckled out.

"I speak of no nonsense, my lady. I have noticed the way he looks at you. The man could not contain himself around you."

"He beds a different woman every night." You retorted, standing up from your spot as Agnes was done braiding your hair. Some of it let loose and framed around your face.

"And who is the person he always comes back to?"

You pursed your lips, "I am his dearest friend. That is all."

"Let us see then, my lady." Agnes smirked at you while smoothing your gown of its creases. Your gown was a lovely cream color. It was of tulle, the skirt of the dress glittered once it hits the light, it shows off your shoulders but still has flamboyant sleeves. Your hair on the other hand was adorned with beautiful pastel pink flowers.

A knock was heard after Agnes spoke, sparking her hopes up even higher. The door swung open to reveal the younger prince of Asgard in his more flamboyant clothing as it was an important event. Agnes beamed at you and quickly ushered the rest of your handmaidens out of your quarters.

"Why are you here? Aren't you supposed to accompany the Allmother?" You asked, repeatedly smoothing your dress.

"Mother sent me to fetch you actually," Your eyes widened a tad but nodded your head nonetheless. "Come, I am tasked to accompany you to the main hall." He offered his hand and you took ot gratefully. The both of you walked the golden halls of the Asgardian palace, his hand soft and rough at the same time, his thumb occasionally stroking the back of your hand. You managed to keep a smile away from your face or you were doomed.

Finally, you reached the grand hall of where the contest and the feast was going to be held. It was decorated magnificently, the tall pillars were adorned with white fabric and colorful flowers. The center of the hall was clear of anything as it was going to be the dance floor. The tables were of a fine kind of wood and each and every one of them had a vase of flowers on top. The room smelled of lavander. It was perfect.

You and Loki found your seats which was high up on a pedestal with the king-Odin, the queen-Frigga, the older prince-Thor, Lady Sif and the Warriors Three. The royal council was a pedestal lower along with the Lords and Ladies.

The hall quieted as it was almost time for the contest, Odin bid his opening remarks and afterwards, the music begun and beautiful ladies danced at the center of the hall. All of them were graceful, beautiful and elegant. You were one out of three. Which was why you were having difficulty believing Agnes.

The dancers all bowed and waved at everybody beforr Odin stood up again and raised a goblet in honor of another successful midsummer festival and quickly announced the winner. After everybody cheered and finally settled down, trays and trays of food were served fresh from the kitchens.

Volstagg tried to contain himself infront of the king and queen but alas, he failed to which everyone snickered at. Specially Fandral, who nearly choked at Volstagg's pitiful attempt at being proper. Sif was done with her friends, that's why she's always rolling her eyes and shaking her head no. Your table shared a healthy dose of hearty laughter and banter before the music began again.

You've finished your food and maybe drank a goblet and a half of mead so you were not in tip top shape but you weren't drunk.

Loki stood up, asked for your hand, you took it, but with snooty eyes and teasing smirks from your friends as well as Frigga.

The two of you made it to the dance floor, lightly swaying to the music. "Always so subtle." You commented.

"Am I not known for surprises and big gestures, my dear?"

"You are, but you couldn't have done that with another lady? This looks pitiful in other people's eyes."

"A lady of your status and intelligence? I beg to differ." Then he spun you, and clutched you closer to his chest.

"Always the flatterer." You shook your head at him.

"I am merely showing them a prize they cannot win."

"Flatterer."

"A present they could not unwrap."

"Flatterer."

"You look extravagant by the way, my dear."

"Flatterer."

Loki chuckled. "I'm being sincere here darling and all you can respond with is 'flatterer'. Cat got your tongue?" He raised an eyebrow.

"No, I'm just not feeding your ego. It's big enough as it is."

"Ouch."

"I'm only jesting. You do look lovely tonight, Loki." You smiled at him happily. The song ended, the two of you bowed at one another. You started to head back for the table but Loki tugged you towards the garden. You sent Thor a helpless look, but he just responded with a thumbs up and smoochy faces.

"Loki! I am in heels!" You shouted at him while he continued dragging you towards the gardens quite quickly. You giggled as you continuously shouted at him.

"You are so tiring," You commented as the pair of you reached the garden. "We could've walked Loki,"

"Why did you bring me here anyways?" Loki was quiet, his eyes were a storm with mixed emotions, regret? happiness?

"Loki?"

"I was being sincere."

"Yes I know. Did I hurt you in any way? Please whatever it is, I'm sorry."

He softly chuckled. "No, you could never hurt me, darling."

"Then what is it?" You walked closer, and caught his hand in yours. "You know you can tell me anything, right?"

"I know. I was planning to give you this." He pulled out a white gold necklace from his pocket. It was a locket, with a photograph of the two of you inside.

"It's beautiful, Loki but you didn't have to give me presents. The winter winds is not for a long time." You softly smiled up at him.

"I wanted to ask you, if I could court you." Loki was silent. You were silent. Your eyes wide, your heart wildly hammering in your chest.

Loki noticed that you made no movement or response to his question, "Only if you wanted to of course, if you don't see me that way, seeing my reputation then it is alright. If you wanted to remain as friends then I shall push these idiotic feelings aside-"

"Yes," You answered confidently. "Yes of course, Loki. You don't know how long I have these feelings bottled up but- my answer is yes." You hugged him nice and tight. You felt Loki sharply exhale from maybe relief.

"I promise to be faithful to you and only you, my darling."

"Yes, I know you doofus," You laughed softly, wiping away tears that managed to spill, you finally let go of him.

"Just so you know, Thor will never let this go."

"Must you talk about my brother at this time."

"I made it my personal mission to always get under your skin at every opportunity I get," You kissed his cheek fondly. "Welcome to your personal Hel, Prince Loki." You smirked.

"More like Valhalla to me, darling."

"Always so cheesy."

"Come, we have to tell mother."

"She saw this coming didn't she?"

"Probably," Loki side eyed you then he wickedly smirked. "I asked her." Then he ran, racing you back to the grand hall.

"You are so unfair!" You shouted, giggling like a school girl. "Loki!"