Andrew

I don't have anybody. You guys are all I have. You have to forgive me!

-Alex Karev

Getting out of her car, she slammed the door shut and got onto the land to see Derek pushing the wheelbarrow full of stones up the hill. Crossing her arms around herself to keep the heat from escaping, she narrowed her eyes and walked up to him, heeled boots squishing through the morning-dew-coated grass.

"You look nice," he said and she narrowed her eyes at him. "What's the occasion?"

"Why are you here?"

"I'm working on the house." Shaking her head, she shivered against the wind.

"Why are you here, and not at home with Meredith?" she asked because she had a perfectly good bed at home where it wasn't cold and it happened to have her attractive husband still sleeping. But the thought nagging at her, that Meredith could be fired, kept her awake so here she was.

"I don't want to talk about it."

"Derek." Following after him to the deck, she spotted his car and climbed onto the front, letting her legs hang down as she watched him work. He dumped some cement or something onto the beginnings of the fireplace and set another stone on top. "Derek, she's my friend. In your mind, she's not your wife, she's my friend, and she's now my resident." The neurosurgeon paused and turned to her, setting the stone down.

Derek's lips pressed together as if recalling a moment, the moment his life changed. "She messed with the Alzheimer's trial."

.

"So, I went to Derek's land last week," Emily announced with a huff as she got into the on-call room. Mark looked up from his magazine as she collapsed onto his bed and snuggled up against him. "And he did tell me what happened before he kicked me off his land."

"Meredith messed up with his trial. I know. Hunt's with him too."

"So there's something going on with Cristina, too," she deduced against him and he chuckled, running a hand through her hair. "Everett wouldn't go to sleep and I had a surgery with Webber. Are the biopsy results back yet?"

"Nope." He popped the 'p', putting down the magazine and gazing down at her fondly. "Don't you have that breakfast thing? Chief Resident and stuff."

"Oh, yeah." She raised her head tiredly, hazel eyes flickering up to meet his. "Right. Crap."

"Come on, let's go." She got up with a groan and he sat beside her, pecking her temple before getting up and grabbing his coat. "Em,"

"Coming," she said, getting up and holding his hand as they headed to the cafeteria. A new group of interns, led by Lexie, passed them and the brunette mouthed frantic words at them. Emily snorted, laughing as Mark smirked. Running over her speech in her head, she said hello to Cristina. The Asian simply ignored her and Emily sighed.

"You the only one with a stable household at the moment? Saw Karev sleeping in a patient's room a few days back," Mark muttered in her ear and she glanced at him. She knew he was saying it as a teasing remark but she couldn't take it that way.

"Yeah. I think so," she commented softly before heading into the cafe. Fifth-year residents were lining up for breakfast foods and Mark headed straight for the muffins. Sitting down, she leaned her head against her hand and closed her eyes.

"Coffee?" Opening her eyes, she saw April offering her a steaming cup and smiled, sitting up.

"Thanks."

"You looked like you need it. You've been working your tail off since this whole thing started," the redhead chirped and Emily took a deep sip before sighing in relief. Just what she needed. "Are you going to make a speech?"