First Years

I can't because I'm pregnant.

-Meredith Grey

"Happy three months, baby," Mark whispered and Emily groaned, squirming in his arms.

"Mark, I wanna sleep," Emily mumbled sleepily when Mark brushed his nose against the skin near her ear. "Lemme sleep. I'm tired."

"Oh, yeah?" he murmured back and she flung an arm around him to hug him tighter. "Baby's taking a lot out of you, huh." When the brunette didn't reply, only snuggled closer, he chuckled. "Is it okay if we start telling people? Seems we're in the clear." Her hazel eyes opened sleepily and he leaned to kiss her. When her morning breath mingled with his minty one, he wrinkled his nose and she let out a whine from the back of her throat, burying her face in the covers.

"Okay. Anything for you to leave me alone so I can sleep!" He nodded, kissing her forehead before looking at the time over her shoulder. His hand rubbed up and down her arm, soothing the goosebumps that rose when exposed to the air.

"Torres and I have to actually work - maybe I'll tell her then." Getting up, he felt her hand scrabble for his waist.

"No!" she groaned, rolling into his empty space as he changed his clothes. "You just came back."

"Came back from the washroom, yeah," he snorted, pecking her cheeks. Reaching out blindly, she grabbed the collar of his shirt and pressed a longer kiss to his mouth. Cupping her face, he deepened it before pulling away. "Love you, okay? Text me when you get there."

"Yes, honey," she muttered sarcastically and he made sure she was warm and covered before going out to call for Callie. Emily heard the door closed before she rolled out of the bed and dragging herself into the bathroom. Once she freshened herself up and was significantly more awake, she proceeded to change into casual sweats and go to the kitchen where a pot of coffee was there, already made.

Pouring herself a steaming hot cup in a travel mug, she set it down and pulled on her cream coat. Sipping again, she sighed before grabbing her keys and heading down to go to the hospital. The baby was taking a lot out of her, sure, but it wasn't anything she couldn't handle from her intern year.

.

"I'm going to die."

"No, you won't. It's just one day," Lexie shot back with a smile as Taylor greeted his girlfriend with a kiss to the temple before continuing on his way. Rolling their eyes at the blond trauma surgeon, the two brunettes continued to walk through the hospital, the group of first year med students trailing behind them. Emily herself wasn't even in her scrubs, adjusting her bag on her shoulder as she walked beside the younger Grey.

"One day too many, Lex," Emily sighed, brushing a curl behind her ear. Her hair was up in a messy bun because she was too lazy to do anything else as they finally found the Chief who jerked his head towards the main nurse's station. "The time of my life, sis. Good morning, Chief."

"Right. Now get over there." Lexie shoved her gently towards the congregating residents and with a faux-foul glare, she sidled in next to April who greeted her with a cheerful good morning. Offering a smile in return, she rubbed at her eyes.

"Morning, Red." She stretched, feeling the clack of her shoulders and watching the mass of med students slowly come into view. The Chief offered them all a good morning.

"Behind me stand the interns and residents of tomorrow. Today you will show them what it's like to be a surgeon. When you go into surgery, they go into surgery. When they have a question, you will answer."