Happiness

And it's not so important that it's happy ever after just that it's happy right now. See once in a while, once in a blue moon people will surprise you. And once and a while people may even take your breath away.

-Meredith Grey

"Camera crew are coming up to peds," Taylor reported through the phone and she nodded, sipping her coffee. "Is it another day on K duty?" After the success in the double-leg amputation, Emily had barely left Kayla's side since her dads were working their asses off to cover for insurance. Mostly because she wanted to make sure the girl was okay but also because she was getting exhausted and crampy and taking care of Kayla was an easy day on her.

"Yeah," she affirmed as the elevator doors opened to reveal the people filming them. "It's only 6:30 so I'm not waking up Kayla yet. I might see if Mark got some sleep before we make sure she didn't get edema. It's healing better than I expected but Callie wants me to ease her into the schedule of being at the hospital full time," she added with a roll of her eyes, taking her coffee and going to the on-call room she saw her husband go into. He was awake but tired and she sat by his head, running a hand through his hair.

"Yeah. Well, Lexie's on double-arm transplant with your husband so that leaves us both left out. I've got to begin organizing the 'training' for the other residents and attendings since we won the one mil grant," Taylor informed. "Keeps me busy. I'll see you later?"

"Yeah, bye, Taylor." She hung up and Mark finally looked up at her. Her stomach churned at the haunted look in his eyes. "Did you sleep?" she asked anyways.

"No," he murmured and rested his head on her thigh. Sighing, she lifted his head and settled so he was between her legs. Letting his head use her stomach as a pillow, she just stroked his hair.

"Then sleep now. I'm here," she murmured. He nodded and swallowed thickly, closing his eyes and trying to sleep, hoping that the nightmare wouldn't come again.

.

"7:30 and it's time to work," she announced to the camera crew following her. "I've been here for... twenty two hours? After a few routine procedures, I'll probably be off but I'll stay for one surgery. There's a double arm transplant going on so I'll be watching that." Taking Kayla's chart, she began to walk to the room. "I've been on this case for a few weeks now and I just need to make sure she doesn't have edema which is a buildup of fluid and that the incision site looks good." Alex ran past her, down the hall and she watched him. "He's probably got a 911 page. You never walk for a 911 page but especially on peds. These are kids and there's a lot of stake."

"What's the case?" a cameraman asked and she opened the binder, bending the cover over the back as she took out a pen. Clicking it, she proceeded to explain.

"Uh, she was admitted because of her condition - you may be familiar with clubfeet. Normally, it's treated when they are babies but the baby's birth parents weren't financially stable and gave her up for adoption so we performed a double below-the-knee amputation. Right now, I'm just checking up on her because her parents aren't around." Entering the room, she put an effortless smile onto her face. "Hey, Kayla!"

"Em!" The girl perked up as soon as she saw the doctor. "Do I get my legs today?"

"No, Kay. Now, these nice men are just filming you so give them your biggest smile." The tiny child beamed at the cameraman who cracked a smile.

"Cheese!"

"Okay, Kayla. Can you give me a super deep breath?" Inhaling, Kayla sat up as Emily took her vitals. "And another? Okay, good girl. Is your daddy coming to visit today?"