Richard

If it's taking this long, nobody survived.

-Mark Sloan

"You dropped out of the Chief's trial?" Emily tucked her knees to her chest as she clacked her chopsticks and laid them in her sushi tray. Jackson, across from her, sighed as he sat back with his own frozen lasagna that he heated up in her microwave. "Why?"

"I was hanging out with Lex and she said... said something about awards." Realization dawning on her, Emily set down her half-empty tray and straightened out her legs along the couch. Jackson sighed from where he sat at the island in Emily's flat. Rocking the cradle, she looked into Everett's little face. Mark was off in a surgery and the two friends were hanging out.

"Jackson-"

"I know what you're going to say." Emily quietened and she picked up her child. Jackson got off from the stool and sat near her legs. Sitting up straight, she smiled at how Everett's adorable little face seemed to scrunch up as she took a hold of his little hand in its mitt. He was in a onesie that covered his tiny feet and hands, and Emily's heart melted when Everett let out a squeal, stretching in her arms.

"Baby's waking up," she whispered and he nodded, coming closer as she angled herself so she leaned against the back cushions. Jackson leaned in beside her as Everett opened his eyes, mouth opening as he woke. "You know, just 'cause Harper's your grandpa doesn't mean you let it hold you back. I get it, you know."

Jackson was quiet as Everett peered up at his mom's friend curiously. The man extended a finger for Everett to bat at with his mitted hand and there was a soft smile upon his face as he turned to Emily.

"I know."

.

Mark groaned when the baby monitor began to emit a high-pitched cry. Emily threw a hand over her eyes, exhausted.

"I got it," he mumbled blindly, sitting up like a robot. She rolled into his space on the bed as he went, completely passing out after having been the one to take care of their child over the past few months. It was nice for Mark to do his share of work.

It was nice to just sleep.

.

Lies come out, whether it takes years or days.

Emily tossed her braid over her shoulder as she stood beside Jackson who was explaining Mark's latest pettiness. Her husband seemed to have something against the Avery and she was determined to get rid of it. If her husband couldn't take her best friend, then it would cause a lot of problems.

"It's probably because I slept with you once and I hang out with you too much," she teased as Meredith approached the nurse's station. Emily was working on charts for Mark's supposed father when a storm settled over the atmosphere. Looking up from where her cheek was resting against her hand, she tapped her pen against the chart.

"So they're probably gonna fire me." That caught all their attentions and she straightened up. Emily shared a glance with Jackson before returning her gaze to the blonde. "Are you happy?"

"Oh, come on. They're not gonna-"

"I want your crap out of my house by the end of the day."

"What the hell was that?" Cristina asked but before anyone could answer, their pagers blared. All the residents went down to the lobby and they saw a huge group of doctors already waiting. As the Chief explained the situation, she stood by Mark who immediately placed a hand on her shoulder, sliding it down to rub her arm. Tying up her hair, she slid her ring off and onto her necklace.