Promise

Emily knocked on the door, bursting in as soon as Izzie opened the entrance into Meredith's grand house. Toeing off her shoes, she ran up the stairs with a quick 'hello' to Izzie. The blonde looked bewildered at her friend's appearance but said nothing, only clutched her coffee and returned to the kitchen. She nearly crashed into Alex as he exited the bathroom and opened Meredith's door.

"Meredith, I need you." The blonde started, opening her eyes wider. She was clearly awake but Emily's presence seemed to have made her even more alert.

"What's up?" she asked with a yawn and she jumped into bed, bundling herself up.

"I'm in love with Mark Sloan," she confessed in a rush, her heart pounding against her ribs at the sentence. This was the first time she had said it aloud. The realization, Emily reflected last night, was always there, but when she had tore herself away from the chance to kiss him, she knew for sure. She loved him. She loved him. The mere fact still took her breath away. "And he loves Addison."

Meredith was quiet for a moment, and then turned to her amongst her pillows. "Maybe he does, but not as much as he cares for you. How did you even come to this?"

"He tried to kiss me," she admitted.

"And why didn't you let him kiss you?"

"Because he loves Addison? Because... I don't want someone who's in love with someone else," she murmured and Meredith sighed, flopping her hands on top of the covers. "But I want him anyways."

"Well, if he wanted to kiss you, maybe he wants you."

"Or, maybe he's confused."

"Or, maybe you should stop making excuses," Meredith exclaimed. "Maybe you should stop selling yourself short. I don't even know how you've managed to stay single but you know, it figures that the moment some roguish debonair shows up, he's all over you." The blonde smiled and Emily groaned, sinking deeper into the covers.

"He's not all over me."

"He brings you coffee almost every morning." Emily didn't deny that. "It's weird but I can see you guys together," she added under her breath and the brunette closed her eyes. "Just talk to him. Communicate." Snorting, Emily pushed herself back up.

"I communicate just fine. It's him that needs to communicate."

"Well, from what I'm hearing, it sounds like both of you need to communicate," teased Meredith and Emily took one of the pillows she was leaning on and whacked her friend in the face.

"Freakin' stupid cotton-candy coloured bridesmaids." Turning around, she glared at Cristina before taking a mental snapshot of the pale pink skirts. Normally, she'd text Mark but with the terms they're on...

She sighed.

There was a ding from her phone and she took it from the couch nearby and flipped it open.

:just wondering where you are:

Mark. The thought of him made her warm and soft and even sad. Something about him was so heartbreaking and addicting and sorrowful and....

And she loved him anyway.

:at the bridesmaid shop trying on dresses for the wedding:

:youre a bridesmaid?:

:im a bridesmaid:

:cant wait to see you:

She didn't respond to that, staring at the messages hopelessly. Dropping the phone into her lap, she leaned farther into the cushions. Her phone vibrated.