Sloan Riley

The joy supposedly is in the giving, so when the joy is gone, when the giving starts to feel more like a burden, that's when you stop. But if you're like most people I know, you give till it hurts, and then you give some more.
-Meredith Grey

Thanksgiving Eve
Walking around the corner, she shielded her eyes with a chart when she saw Lexie and Taylor sharing a moment. They were just about to kiss when they noticed her.
"Sorry, sorry." She winced and they broke apart immediately, cheeks flaring bright red. "I just - oh, well." She tried to turn around but Lexie beat her to it.
"I, uh, thank you for the, uhm, consult, Dr. Jacks. I - I will do just that, yes I will," Lexie rambled and turned around, tucking a lock of hair behind her ear. Peeking over her shoulder, she saw Taylor look at her and grinned.
"Sorry," she drawled, walking up to him and handing him the chart.
"You seriously have the worst timing," he growled, taking it and opening it. "What is it?" He read it quickly and Emily grinned. "Okay, you have totally made up for it. Let's go." He lead the way as they began racing towards the pit. "Bet I'll beat ya," he yelled as he nearly crashed into a nurse. Laughing, she widened her strides and slammed her hand against the button for the elevator. It opened and she got in, pressing the first floor button and mashing the closed button. "No way!" He lunged and stuck out a hand, stopping the elevator doors from closing. Slipping in, the doors closed behind him and he glared at her.
"Getting slow," she teased and he rolled his eyes. He straightened the lapel of his lab coat as the doors opened. The pit was relatively quiet except for Mark working on a man screaming like a baby.
"Em," Mark called out for her and she stopped from her way to the trauma room. Taylor continued onwards with a smug smile. The case she had shown the trauma surgeon, a man had tackled a wild turkey and had ended up with multiple lacerations, contusions and trauma to the head, would have to wait.
"Yeah?" She went over to him and his eyes gave her a once over, going from her face to her stomach in just a flash of a second - so fast she wasn't sure it happened. "Do you need anything?"
"Yeah. Callie wants to host the dinner today so we have to just bring the wine. Can you buy a bottle of wine before we go?" he asked as he debrided the man's burns without looking up.
"'Course," she agreed and was about to say more when a blonde with the same blue eyes and strong jaw as Mark walked up to them.
"Dr. Sloan?"
"Yeah?" He cast her a quick glance but then did a double-take. Obviously, he had noted the same similarities. His face was the definition of shocked as she continued.
"Hi. Um, so, this might be a little weird, but, um... my name is Sloan Riley, and, uh, my mom's Samantha Riley, and, um... I'm pretty sure you're my dad." His eyes widened and his head tilted just a little more. It would've been funny if it wasn't such a punch in the gut. Mark... has a kid? She thought dazedly, eyes dragging to meet Callie's and Alex's. Lexie came up with Mark's labs but instead stumbled into an awkward staring competition as her gaze went from the blonde to the other doctors.
Lexie set down the papers gingerly between the triangle before speeding away, disappearing into the trauma room that Taylor was in. The blonde's grin widened nervously and Emily looked at Mark.
"Well, okay, I think that's enough for now. Mark, and, uh, Sloan, was it? Let's just go in that general direction," Callie said first, walking towards them and placing a hand on each of the Sloan's shoulder. Gently guiding the two away, Emily looked at Alex.
"What the hell just happened?" she asked dumbly and Alex shrugged. The turkey-burned victim looked at them all awkwardly, the man they had forgotten about and Emily groaned. Plopping down in Mark's seat, she put on a pair of latex gloves and picked up the instruments.
"Hey, Mr... Smith. I'm apparently your new doctor as my boyfriend just had an existential crisis appear on his doorstep."
.
"This is the best thanksgiving ever."
"I'd beg to differ," Emily said as she did a single-layer continuous suture. "I just found out my boyfriend has a daughter." She snipped the line and started another. Alex stifled a laugh as Cristina looked up at her.
"Well, at least there are no obnoxious relatives and stupid traditions," Cristina scoffed. "No going around the table and saying what you're thankful for."
"Yeah, I think we should do the opposite." Emily pointed a shining instrument at Alex in agreement. Pausing in her work, she took a bite of rice before continuing. "Talk about what we're not grateful for."
"The merger."
"The Mercy Westers." Meredith agreed. Emily grimaced as she finished another line and started to undo them to restart.
"They're like the plague. I mean, stealing all our surgeries, eating all that pie in the nurses' station."
"It is good pie, especially when it's-"
"Apple." The three others chimed and Emily groaned as she threaded the sutures. Taking a small bite of fake skin with her instruments, she pulled it through as Alex nodded. He turned back to his work, Meredith's careful eye on it. She piped up when he pulled it through.
"You're doing it wrong."
"I am not."
"You are." She put down her fork and picked up her forceps. "Can I show you?"
"Private lessons with the Chief. Man, those daddy issues are working for you," Cristina scoffed as she watched Meredith perform the closure brilliantly. Emily took another bite of rice and grinned.
"I don't have daddy issues. He's teaching me." Alex picked up his instruments to try and imitate what Meredith did as she pulled back. The blonde returned to her lunch as Cristina shook her head slightly.
"You're his bitch."
"Well, in that case, Em's Torres' bitch."
"Uncool." Emily rolled her eyes, "Besides, I'm not as much as a bitch as Cristina is for Teddy."
"Maybe that's my problem. I'm nobody's bitch."
"Oh, well, you were Izzie's bitch." Alex gave her a side glance, full of indignation.
"You're the bitch." Cristina was about to say something before Meredith cut in. Emily supported her friend's point with gentle gestures while her fingers were still holding onto the forceps.
"You know what? It's Thanksgiving."
"Well-"
"Ah!" The brunette shushed Cristina. "No name-calling." They acquiesced as Meredith leaned over to show Alex the stitch again.
"She seems... like one of those girls," Emily said after a while. They were almost all done their lunch and now were practicing different stitches. "Vain, money hungry. I mean-" She stopped herself. "I could totally be wrong. Maybe she's kind and loving. Maybe she isn't even Mark's daughter at all. I mean, what are the chances?"
"From what I heard, pretty high." Cristina remarked and she shot her friend a glare. "What? The way Sloan got around before he met you? I'm surprised no one's resurfaced with an STI. Has he ever given you an STI?"
"Not funny," Emily snapped and Meredith sighed.
"Thanksgiving," she reminded and they quickly faded to silence.
.
"Another glass of wine, please." Emily raised her crystalline wine glass and Callie generously poured it with a smile that said you're gonna need it. They were having dinner in Callie's apartment and Sloan had decided to plop right between Emily and Mark. Managing a smile, she grabbed the bowl of mashed potatoes and spooned dollops of it onto her plate before passing it to the young blonde.
"Thanks. I am starving," she expressed with wide eyes. "It was a long wait." It takes time to make good food. She thought in her head but didn't let it show as Mark gave her a look behind Sloan. He pleaded for her to just be pleasant. They could talk about it after. If they had time. The younger Sloan was moving into their apartment - an idea Mark had just sprung on her. Whatever. I'll at least try to like you. She concluded as Sloan smiled.
"No problem," the brunette said and as soon as it was handed off, she reached for the gravy. Arizona sent her a sympathetic smile across the table and she shrugged. The peds surgeon offered her the plate of steak and she took a slab with a slightly-more-enthusiastic-stab than what was needed.
"Who wants turkey?" Callie broke the awkward silence.
"Oh, I do," Arizona volunteered and took a generous amount of stuffing to go along with the bird. Taking a bite, the blonde exaggerated the taste of it. "Oh, wow, this is great, Emily. Where'd you learn how to make this stuffing?"
"My mom," she supplied, "but it doesn't work when you don't know how to make a turkey." Arizona chuckled before taking another bite. Callie shifted to steal a bite from her girlfriend's plate.
"Holy cow," the Latina groaned, "that's heaven." Laughing, Emily returned her attention to her own plate. Dinner passed in relative camaraderie. They made their best efforts to include Sloan but it was slightly awkward whenever she came into question. Mark kept glancing at his daughter but otherwise said nothing. Afterwards, as they cleaned up the table, Mark pulled her away.
"I'm sorry," he confessed and she smiled slightly. "I should've asked you but she has nowhere to go and-"
"It's fine. Just for now, okay? Until she figures life out, she can stay here," she assured him and he smiled, kissing her gratefully. "You better make it up to me at Christmas." He laughed and kissed her again, longer and deeper. Her arms wrapped around his neck as his settled on her waist. Smiling wider against his lips, she kissed him once more briefly.
"I love you," he whispered, eyes glancing down at the silver chain around her neck to her hazel eyes. Hugging him tightly, she just basked in his heat.
"Happy Thanksgiving, Mark."
"Happy Thanksgiving."
Christmas Eve
She was beginning to stack the presents under the Christmas tree. Emily had just returned from a thirty-six hour shift where many of their friends exchanged gifts with her. Derek and Meredith had pitched in to get the her a few gifts for both her and Mark. Callie and Arizona both got gifts for her and Lexie, Taylor, and even Noah had sent a present. Making sure it was neat and in no one's way, she started with the ornaments. Smiling, she placed a shiny blue one on a branch before picking up a silver one, no particular color scheme in mind.
Sloan walked past her, wearing a deep v-neck and holding a bottle of nail polish. "Hey, wanna help me decorate the tree?" she offered, picking up a darker matte blue ornament this time. She scoured the boxes for more and found some white bulbs and bows in all different colors. Balancing on the balls of her feet, she hung the blue ornament on the higher branch.
"No, thanks," the blonde replied and proceeded to sit at the countertop. Emily's smile faded when the younger woman turned around. Sighing softly, she continued to decorate the tree, adding a silver bow here and a blue ornament with white snowflakes there. Once finished, she took out the tinsel with a soft rustling sound when Mark came up to her.
"How's the work going?" he asked, taking her hand and tracing small circles on the back of it. She grinned, drawing her hand away and disappearing around the tree with an armful of tinsel. Beginning to wrap it around carefully so to not knock off the delicate ornaments, she winded it up the evergreen.
"Great. I just have to get the lights up and the star," she said. "Wanna help?" He had a sheepish expression on his face and looked at his feet, shifting awkwardly. She continued on with her work for a while as he kept speaking, glancing at his daughter.
"So... have you - I mean, uh, you think you could ask her how long she's planning to stay?" The brunette looked at her boyfriend and rolled her eyes.
"Mark," she began sternly, "she's been here for a month. Three sentences were shared between you - two of them were 'pass the cereal. We went Christmas shopping for the tree and you asked if she wanted to come, and I had to talk to her the whole time." Letting a small smile appear on her face, she glanced at the unaware blonde. "Hey." Her hand rubbed his arm in comfort. "It's Christmas. Get in the spirit and get over there, exchange more than three words. Mark, she's your daughter. Just - just try to be her dad, okay?"
He frowned and looked away. Tilting her head, she waited until he rose his head up just enough for her to see a peek of blue. "Fine." Turning him around, she pushed him towards his daughter before turning around and uncoiling the lights. Spying over her shoulder, she watched as he strolled up to her awkwardly.
"What are you looking at, you old perv?" Sputtering out a laugh, she turned around to silence the peals of laughter as she began resting the lights on the branches.
Christmas Day
Owen and Emily got to Meredith's house at around five after an emergent trauma surgery. Mark greeted her with a kiss, helping her take off her jacket to reveal her outfit for the night. It was simple grey cardigan with a white drape shirt and black leggings. Toeing off her boots, she wrapped an arm around his waist as Owen slipped past them to sit on the couch. Taylor was sitting on a chair across from Teddy near the fireplace while Lexie sat on its arm rest. His hand rested casually on her hip and he occasionally shared glances with the younger brunette.
"Want a drink?" she asked and he nodded with a quick reply of scotch. "Comin' right up," she teased and slipped away into the kitchen where Meredith was preparing dinner. "I hope you didn't cook that," she said warily and Meredith grinned. She looked fantastic in a grey patterned sweater, transferring the little rolls onto a cleaner presentation plate.
"Nope. Lex and Taylor did."
"Thank God." Rolling her eyes, Meredith continued with her task as Emily took out two glasses. Pouring the warm-colored liquid, she capped it and brought out the brandy. She was about to say something when someone else came in.
"Your sister's got a ready-made family there." Thatcher Grey came in, picking up a grape and popping it into his mouth. He had a half-smile on his face as his estranged daughter forced a smile. Excusing herself quietly, she made her way back into the living room just as Meredith's reply left the her lips. Handing his drink to Mark, she listened to Arizona and Dr. Webber sing. Sloan came up to them at one point and Emily raised her head from Mark's shoulder.
"Hey, do you have my money back?" she asked cordially and Sloan froze, soda in hand.
"Erm, no, but I'll give it back." Sensing the lie, Emily narrowed her eyes to make the younger woman uncomfortable before returning back to the festivities.
"It's okay. You can keep it," she muttered. You probably already spent it, the brunette added in her mind as her hazel eyes darted up to Mark. He looked at them with a slight tinge of awkwardness. Sloan slipped away to the bathroom as Emily sighed softly. "Whatever."
"Thank you." He kissed her temple and she melted into him, leaning into his warmth as the hand around her waist tightened its grip. "I know it isn't easy."
"Well, you didn't know she was even alive, so-" She shrugged as Derek announced they were going to start setting up dinner. "I'm gonna go help out. Can you hold this?" Mark's mouth opened to respond and she placed her glass in his hand before she slipped into the kitchen to help Meredith with the final dishes.
.
"What a dinner party," Sloan commented and collapsed on the couch. She lounged across the whole spanse as Emily crouched down in front of the Christmas tree. They had already opened a few before work but there were still some left. Mark crouched down beside her, phone in hand as a tell-tale sign he had taken a picture.
"Here, open this one," Emily suggested, giving her boyfriend the present she got him while he handed her one wrapped in red. Looking at the tag, she flushed when she saw it was him. Sloan raised her head when she realized she was being ignored and stood, coming over to them.
"Is there one for me?" she asked hopefully and Emily did indeed give her one. Handing a small flat box to her, she watched as a mix of emotions went through her face. "Thanks." The blonde turned on her heel, walking around the partition to signify what was 'her' room.
Turning to her own present, she glanced as Mark. He had begun to carefully untape the wrapping paper to reveal a dark blue box. Ripping the red paper gently, she pulled it back to reveal a small box.
"What is this?" she asked teasingly and he smiled, leaning over to kiss her quickly. He raised the velvet box and cracked it open. The brunette watched as his eyes widened and he carefully lifted his gift like it was precious cargo. Out came a sterling silver watch, it's grey face and white numbers shielded by a glass covering. "Do you like it? I knew your last watch is kind of broken so I-"
"It's perfect," he assured. "Open yours." Turning back to her own present, she cracked it open to reveal a dark piece of fabric. Frowning slightly in confusion, she lifted it up and flipped it inside out to reveal a scrub cap. Its design was beautiful - faded white swirls with gentle slopes that were dotted with different sized, pure white stars. There were some in clusters and others a muted blur to signify the truly massive universe of the Milky Way. "It's your lucky charm. You're mine, but I want you to have your own."
"I won't be able to wear this in surgery though," she reminded and he grinned.
"Then you'll keep it with you until you become an attending. Just because you can't wear it doesn't mean you can't have it," he said and she hugged him tightly. "Merry Christmas, Em. I love you."
"Merry Christmas, Mark." She murmured and pressed him harder against her. "I love you, too."
.
As they lay in bed that night, Emily felt Mark sigh heavily and looked over from where she was reading.
"Are you okay?" she asked, lightly patting his pec and he looked at her, pushing himself up. Sitting up straight, Mark sighed again.
"There's a reason I can't talk to her," he began. "It's the guilt, of me not being there." Emily closed her book, setting it on the nightstand and lying down against him." I knew when her mom got pregnant. I just... I gave her a couple hundred bucks for an abortion and I left town. I knew her mom was pregnant."
Emily shifted against him, hugging him closer and his eyes closed as she pecked the side of his neck.
"Well, you aren't some teenager anymore. You know better," she said and he leaned over to turn off the lights. "And this is your chance to make it up to her. So, let's go to bed, and tomorrow, you can try again." He pulled the blankets up and she added, "And you need to tell me how you're making that instrument for the AVM. I need to be in on that surgery."
"You will be, don't worry," he murmured sleepily and she smiled in the dark, falling asleep to his heartbeat.
New Year's Eve
"She shows no signs of leaving," Emily said, coming out of the bedroom and putting on a hoodie. "Talk to her, now," she urged and went to go to the bathroom as he slowly walked up to his daughter. Stepping into the room, she paused with her hand on the tap, waiting.
Pregnant. His daughter was pregnant. What a joke, Emily thought bitterly as she turned on the sink and picked up her toothbrush. What a sick joke.
.
Emily stood beside Meredith as they watched Derek test the instrument.
"Oh, how's it handling?" Arizona asked as he uncoiled the instrument and bended the wire gently. The neurosurgeon looked up from the microscope and said that it could bend a little more gently.
"Don't get all critical. Thing cost me a fortune," reprimanded Mark and Emily chuckled. Derek sighed and glanced at his best friend.
"I could use one more day to practice. Okay." Derek lowered the prototype as Arizona widened the nasal cavity. "Inserting the clip applier." Down it went, Mark's fingers steadying it. The camera was travelling deeper and Emily watched the clip applier move along with it until it got stuck.
"Why don't you try torquing it a little to get a different angle?" With a twist of the wrist, Derek reached a different vantage and could maneuver it easier. Mark nodded and Emily stared at the screen intensely, Meredith beside her. The camera was on the AVM then, watching it pulse as the clip appliers slowly approached it. Its jaws opened and Derek clipped it. It turned a dark maroon in front of their eyes as Derek announced they were done. Arizona exclaimed her relief and pulled back, blinking repeatedly.
"Ladies and gentlemen, we're done here."
"Nice work. Beautiful."
"Oh, my god. You did it," Meredith sighed and turned to Emily.
"That was amazing," the brunette agreed and they hugged tightly before pulling back. It was obvious they were both smiling as they turned to the table. Derek did a double take at the clock and spoke up.
"Hang on. Look at the clock." There were only ten seconds until New Year's Day. "And that's uh, seven, six..." the rest of the staff joined in.
"Five, four, three, two, one. Happy New Year!" They all erupted into applause, even the people watching in the gallery as Emily walked around to approach Mark. Arizona kissed his cheek through their masks before he turned to her. Smiling, she pressed their masks together, rubbing noses. Giggling, she walked around him to give a one-sided hug to Arizona. The peds surgeon rested her head on the younger surgeon's before the brunette broke away.
"Happy New Year, everyone!" Arizona announced as they began to put the instruments away. Mark ripped off his gloves and gown, removing the mask from his face as the attendings walked to the scrub room. Emily stayed behind to help transfer the boy to his room and he looked at her, grinning stupidly. Happy New Year.