twenty three

I sat at my mom's kitchen table creating the party favors boxes for Cooper's party tomorrow. I ordered cardboard lunch boxes and will put tiny construction toys and other trinkets for all of his little friends. I'm so excited to celebrate his third year of life. I just wish that Ryan was here to celebrate with us.

I looked up as my mom walked downstairs with McKinley in her arms as she cried. "Hi baby, how was your nap?" I cooed, standing up. My mom handed her to me and I kissed her cheek. "Are you finish with Cooper's party favors?" she asked me and I nodded. "I just finished them." I sat down and started to breastfeed McKinley. She looked up at me and I smiled, rocking her in my arms.

"Look at your crown." I smiled at Cooper as I put him in the car. He grinned and kicked his feet back and forth. I got in as well and started to drive. "Are you excited for your party tomorrow?" "Yes!" He squealed. I chuckled and reached behind my seat to tickle his leg.
•••

"Happy birthday." I turned over and looked at Cooper. He smiled as he played with his ipad. " Let's get ready so we can get a special breakfast." I sat up. I picked him up and got him ready.

"Happy birthday little buddy." My dad smiled before picking Cooper up. "Thank you grandpa." He smiled. Ryan's parents, Katie, and Cooper's classmates also greeted him with hugs. I put a plastic construction hat on him as we went outside.

I watched Cooper ride around in his mini John Deere tractor that I got him for his birthday. I felt an arm wrap around me and I saw Ryan's dad looking at me. "Cooper reminds me so much of his daddy." I sighed. He nodded and squeezed my shoulder. "You should be so proud of Cooper. He is the most sweetest, compassionate kids ever." I smiled and continued to watch him.