Princess Marinette Part 2

Marientte POV

I stared off into the distance with a sigh. It was strangely frigid this morning and even with a shawl I felt the wind's claws berating my skin.

The sunrise had been my goal and even though I had caught it I was disappointed. Chat was usually here before sunrise. Before I even woke up. All those mornings that I'd open my eyes to his cheeky smile—were gone. How was I supposed to tell him if he wouldn't come see me?

My eyes caught onto a sudden movement to my bottom right and shot that way. Despite squinting I couldn't make out what it was. I suppose I should've just gone inside. I should've left my balcony and locked the doors but... chat. I told him I'd never lock this door.

Instead I stood perfectly still and tried to imagine it was him. My heart jolted when something else shuffled directly below me so I leaned over my balcony slightly, cautious of demons that would drag me down.

"Good morning." His voice was warm despite the chill of the air or the hour. His cheeks were rosy and every time he breathed puffs of air would rise in front of him.

I pulled back abruptly and heard a boisterous laugh. "Don't run! I'm sorry!"

I leaned over again even slower than before. He was standing where he had been but this time he was waiting for me.

He noticed my attention and immediately bowed and winked. I tried not to let my shock show but it was hard. Yes he was my...fiancé—but that didn't mean I was already comfortable around him.

"Good morning." I said, surprising myself at the pride I carried in my voice. Perhaps it had shocked him too because he chuckled slightly and ran a hand through his hair.

"Is not the air too cold for gazing this morning?" He asked abruptly. I decidedly looked away from him and stared at the red and orange lit sky.

I found my nervous habit taking over as I twirled a lock of hair between my fingers and shrugged.

"Would you like to join me?" His voice was strange. Not as lively as it had been a mere minute ago. So I looked down to catch his expression instantly.

What I saw startled me, but I didn't even flinch. His face was solemn, red-cheeked as he was, and quite unsettling. He looked nearly disappointed but not in me. Dissatisfied even, but if so then only because he was not getting something he wanted. What it was though, I could not tell.

"I would not be a bother to you?" I asked, raising an eyebrow curiously. I was not daft, I knew he wouldn't have asked if he hadn't wanted me there. Still I could not hold back from hearing his voice and seeing the way he tried so hard to look at me.

"Never. In fact I am quite worried it is the other way around." He chuckled but made no movement to leave.

"Whatever do you mean by that?" I found myself suddenly enjoying his company as I braced my arms on the balcony and leaned my head over the edge even further. I was only on the second floor so the distance was not so great as to resort to yelling. It felt almost...intimate.

"I fear I am a great inconvenience to you,  princess." He did seem nervous but his declaration did nothing save make me laugh. His eyes widened at my outburst but he held his composure remarkably.

"I suppose my new fear should be that you see me as a clown." He chuckled himself but shook his head and shrugged. "Honestly my dear it does not matter how you see me, but I would love to see you...right now...next to me." He pointed beside himself and my laughing stopped.

"So brazen!" I chastised lightly, trying to keep up my serious facade.

"You mistake me. If I were so brazen I would have said that I wished to join you up there." He smirked wickedly and I nearly choked on my own breath. Surely he was right but I did not expect him to say such things.