Unexpected

A little more on the morose side, not gonna lie. But I enjoyed the different story.

Marinette POV

It would be easy to say that I had fallen in love with Chat Noir and that was why it happened. It would be even easier if I knew who he was... but neither were true, and I was sick of lying.

I hadn't been out in awhile—my fears keeping me inside. Even now I found it hard to live with myself.

My parents weren't mad, not really. They didn't seem to know how to feel. My dad still seemed to be convinced that it was all Chat's fault, that I had never agreed—but that was another lie.

Adrien... was with Kagami, and I... was heartbroken. Chat was there. And then that night... we had both gone a little too far.

I tugged on a loose sweatshirt and grabbed my purse, ready to meet up with Alya. She was leaving for college soon, so I had planned not to burden her... or really rely on her. She would be plenty busy on her own. But I found I needed a friend, preferably my best friend.

I knew she worked at the nearby cafe, the one we had all hung out at as our final days as seniors came to a close. The one where on the last day of school, Adrien brought Kagami—his girlfriend. I walked briskly down the road, my mind churning at the feeling of dispair once again in my chest.

It was only two days later that Chat started seeing me regularly, comforting me. It had never been my intention to lead him on, I had simply needed someone, to feel needed. I suppose I had grown fond of him, attached. It wasn't my intention to love him though, and even now it was clear I didn't. I coudl... I could love him... but I was still seeing Adrien every time I closed my eyes.

I kicked a rock on the sidewalk and held my fingers up to the sun. It was surprisingly nice today, not too hot, a cool summer breeze making its way through my hair. The bright sun reminded me of Adrien, but the warm air reminded of Chat Noir. Surprisingly, it was a startling contrast. The truth was simple though, because both would keep me warm, the sun would only hurt: to look at, to watch for too long, to watch it leave everynight without fail.

Regardless, I hadn't seen Chat in a month, and Adrien even less recently. I gripped my bag and decided it was for the best. Although I'd have to tell them eventually. The reminder seemed to ricochete through my head like a bang. There was a sinking feeling in my gut that I had grown accustomed to over the last few weeks, but this time nothing could deter the pain.

I opened the cafe door and sat down in a partly hidden, side booth. I didn't even have to wait a minute, before Alya was sitting next to me.

"Girl! Where have you been?" She pulled me into a hug, then stared expectantly. The pressure alleviated slightly.

"Oh, you know," I fiddled with the ends of my sleeves, "just helping out my parents at the bakery."

"Right." She laid back and closed her eyes. "I wish I worked for my parents. I hate it here." She whispered with a conspirators laugh.

I shook my head at her behavior then turned with a newfound confidence. I just had to say it.

"I—"

"I'll be right back! I'll get us some drinks." Alya winked, then was gone.

I pressed my fists into my thighs in an attempt to control my nerves. Alya would be supportive. Alya would be surprised. Alya wouldn't tell anyone... right?

I got rid of the thoughts and tried not to think about her reaction, but instead on what I would say.

When she sat back down, I turned to her slowly. "Do you believe all things happen for a reason?"