Chapter 21 - Goodnight...

Copyright © 2014

I spent my days visiting the twins in ICU most days. I was on my way there with Aylia, who had come to visit. I held her hand as we strolled down the chemical smelling hallway. When we reached the ICU I lead Aylia to the humid-crib were the triplets lay. Valkyrie was already awake, her big, brown eyes beaming up at me. She grasped onto me with her arm and sucked on my fingers. "Are you hungry?" I say, cooing at her.
I lift Valkyrie out and place her into the feeding position, she begins to suckle. Aylia is on her tippy toes, bending over the crib to see Poppy and Asher. We stay for about an hour, whilst I feed all the babies. When we return to my room Hiccup sits waiting to return Aylia back to Elsas. I smile at him and kiss him goodnight. "Be back in the morning, OK?" He asks.
I nod "Fine baby".
I watch him leave, as I return to the lonely hospital mum of four. I silently hop into bed and curl up, letting myself fall asleep.

My cheats lurches in pain and I dart up "AHH!" I gasp, though it's quiet.
My instincts instantly take over, something's not right... I throw off the covers and quietly pad down the hall. The lights are dimmed and the halls scarce of people. I reach ICU and push the door open, closing it gently. My gut twists in my stomach as I approach the triplets. I place my hand under Valkyries nose and feel her breath on my skin. I sigh in relief then do the same to Asher, their both OK. When I turn to Poppy I realise her chest isn't moving. I test it and there's not breath. I gently pat her, trying to awaken her...nothing. "Nurse.. N-n-nurse!" I choke out.
"Help! She's not breathing!!" I'm screaming now, hot tears filling in my eyes.
Babies around me start awakening because of the noise and a nurse comes rushing in. "She not breathing! She's not breathing!" I scream.
The nurse checks the breath supporter and begins yelling "Doctor! Doctor!" She presses a red call button and moments later a doctor rushes in with nurses carrying equipment.
I stand by in shock, my body still and my tears many. They ready the baby-defibrillator and someone shouts "CLEAR!". They shock, trying to get Poppy's heart to start.
I don't realise I'm screaming at them until the second shock "FUCKING DO SOMETHING! SHES DYING!!!" I scream.
Two male nurses push me out "Astrid it would be best if you stayed out of the way" one says sternly. "That's my daughter!" I scream in tears "that's my baby girl..." My voice cracks and I collapse onto the floor.
I've stopped hearing the "CLEAR" shouts and the shock of the defibrillator. I see the doctors and nurses step back. Some cursing and running hands throughout their hair. The doctor exits and sees me on the ground. I scramble up, hope filling me and stare up the the doctor. I blinks away tears frustratedly, the shakes his head "I'm so sorry..." He chokes out.
Suddenly my world is gone, blackness engulfing me. I feel myself fall, my head smashing the ground. The pain washes over me, numbing me from the outside world. I sob uncontrollably into my hands, sweat and hot tears collecting on my shirt. "Poppy... P-p-poppy" I sob silently.
I feel Hiccups arms around me. "Astrid... ASTRID! Stay with me" he pleads, though I can onto see black.
"F-f-fu-fuck t-this" I mutter, letting the unconscious surround me, and making me forget.

Guys...
I cried during this chapter... I'm crying editing it. Poppy was my fave of the three, but one had to go and she was weakest. :,( I can't even edit right now I'm too sad...
But on a brighter side we reached 11K!!! YAY!!! I'm so happy but I'm still really sad 😭
Xoxo Butterflybunnie
(song is Ed a Sheeran - Photograph, thought it went well whit the theme ):)