Chapter 19 - Doctors Surprise

Copyright © 2014

A//N: One month and a half have passed, Astrid is going to have the baby soon!

Elsa insisted on us staying here in Canada to have the twins. Hiccup wasn't so sure, but when he found out Aylia and I love the idea, he was happy to oblige. Hiccup and I are on our way to the doctors clinic, for our final ultrasound before the birth. We've only had one ultrasound, right at the beginning, as we aren't financially stable at the moment. As I'm strolling along the icy path with Hiccup, I feel three kicks in one and I jolt in surprise. A laugh escapes my lips and Hiccup looks at me; clearly confused. "That was a threesome kick" I giggle, not having felt it before.
"Oh, I thought the baby was coming" he says, then curses under his breath, thinking I can't hear.
I furrow my brows at him and he notices. "Oh sorry" he smiles.
I grab his hand tighter and continue walking along the road. We finally reach town and take a left onto 'Mirésk Street'. When we reach the doctors clinic, I hurry to find a chair and rest my legs. "Good exercise, huh?" Jokes Hiccup.
"You just made a pregnant lady walk 5000000 miles" I pant.
"I think you might be over exaggerating a tad" he laughs and takes the seat next to me.
It's not long before a polite and perky receptionist calls us into the doctors office. "Astrid Haddock?!" She chirps happily.
I wave and stand "Hi".
"If you'll follow me to Dr. Marshell" she chirps again.
I nod and follow her down a white hallway and turn to a white door. She opens the door and ushers me in, before grinning her widest grin and closing the door behind me. Dr. Marshell is seated at his desk, scribbling down some notes. He notices the door slam shut and spins around in his wheelchair, smiling at me. "Ah Astrid!" He greets.
"Hello Doc" I smile.
He beams at my stomach "Looking happy and healthy, just lye down here" he pays onto the patient bed.
I clamber on and he toddles over. He pulls my shirt up over my stomach and applys some jelly-substance over my belly. He then grabs the monitor and turns on the screen. "Ready?" He asks.
"Yep" I state.
He begins running the stick over my stomach as he watches the screen. The picture begins to come into view and I see, one, two...and...three little babies inside my stomach. "Triplets, well done" he admires.
I scrunch my nose on confusion and he catches my breeze. "Your having triplets... You know, right?" He asks.
I shake my head "I went about 3 weeks after being conceived and they said twins." I reply, astounded by the news.
"And you haven't had an ultra-sound since?' He asks.
"We weren't financially stable enough!" I say.
"It's easy for another foetus growth after about a month of being conceived, the problem is... The twins" he points to two of the bigger babies. "Their development time is almost over, whereas the third foetus, it still has a week so of development, by appearance" he finishes.
"So your saying it may not survive the birth?" I whimper.
He nods slowly as he cleans the gel of my stomach. After he's done I pull my shirt down and sit up. This is crazy... I can't loose a child I didn't even know about!

**Hiccups POV**

The doctor calls me in after 10 minutes. When I enter I see Astrid, her legs crossed on the patient bed, arms hugged around herself, lost deep in thought. I approach her and lay a hand on her shoulder, she jumps in surprise. Astrid grasps her hand in mine and begins to silently sob. "What's going on?" I glare at he doctor.
He doesn't pay attention to me, but Astrid. "Astrid, there's a 7% chance she will still make it" he says comfortingly.
The twins... "One is going to die?" I say in horror.
Astrid shakes her head furiously. "No there's... Three" she sobs out.
I stare at her, taking in the information.
"And the third... Probably won't make it!" She looks up at me with wet cheeks.
I squeeze her hand reassuringly. "Don't you dare worry, whatever happens we will be.. OK" I try to assure her.
She nods slowly and solemnly, then stands, thanking the doctor and exits the room. I follow after her, a few steps behind. We don't talk on the way home, we just silently walk through the darkening streets.