F I F T Y

Alexa

"So here's what's going to happen," Zach said with a wicked glint in his eyes, "you're not going on that date, lil girl."

Veronica and my dad had just left, and that's when my Stepbrothers changed their attitude, and brought that statement on.

I blinked rapidly. "Wh-what?" I questioned incredulously. "You can't be serious. Veronica said--"

"None of us gives two fucks about what our mother said to you," Ryder said, rolling his eyes. "She's no longer here, which means Zach's in charge."

"And I say no date," Zach said.

"You can't be serious," I say.

"You're twelve," Cameron tells me. "You're too young to be thinking about boys, much less dating one."

"I'm going on this date--" I started to say, only to be interupted.

"No!" the twins exclaimed at once.

I sighed, agitated. Veronica gave me permission, and now they're trying to take that away from me? This isn't fair.

"Whatever," I said, walking away in anger, to my room.

Fuck them.

***

Yeah, no. Veronica said I could go, after the way my Stepbrothers had treated me in the past, why would I listen to them?

I rolled my eyes at the thought of them taking this away from me. What right do they have? Sure, I had forgiven them, but that doesn't mean I have forgotten what they had done to me.

Insulted me.

Abused me.

Tormented me.

Hated me.

I don't care what any of them said about me going on a date with Benny. Zach. Cameron. Jason. Justin. Ryder. Who cares? I didn't. If anything, they owe it to me, to make up for everything.

I let out a deep sigh. Maybe this way of thinking was heartless, but I just--I don't know how to feel about my Stepbrothers. I just don't and I'm sorry for that. I truly am.

I'm going on this date, though.

I opened my bedroom window, before climbing out of said window, then jumping onto the tree outside. I looked down, seeing the ground. If I fell, it would hurt. A lot. Like, a lot. Like so much. Maybe even a few broken bones.

But what do I really have to lose? Other than my life, I mean.

I took a deep breath, only half freaking out, before I carefully climbed down my tree and made it to the ground. When I was on the ground, I tripped over my own two feet and face planted onto the grass.

Like talk about major ouch.

I got back up, dusted myself off, and walked away.

My Stepbrothers had no idea, and they definitely won't find out.

Zach

Did Alexa really think that I wouldn't notice that she was gone? A few minutes after Alexa had stormed off to her room, ten minutes after, I went to go check up on her, only to see that she was no longer in her room. Her window was wide open, and I immediately knew what had happened.

I huffed, and walked over to the window, closing and locking it. Now she won't have any choice but to come back home through the front door, and not her window.

I walked out of Alexa's room, slamming her door in the process, which attacked the attention of Cameron, who came out of his room.

"What's wrong? Did Alexa do something?" Cameron questioned, seeing me directly in front of Alexa's door.

"The little brat snuck out," I answered, "through her window."

Cameron's eyes narrowed. "She went to go see him, didn't she?"

"That'll be my guess." I let out a sigh.

"She's going to be in trouble when she's back, huh?"

"Oh, definitely."

***

Ryder

Zach and Cameron informed me and the twins about the situation involving Alexa. It infuriated me that she snuck out to see a boy. She shouldn't even be dating. And now she's out in the fucking dark, where anything could happen.

Cameron, Jason, Justin and I were sitting on the steps, back to back, looking through the cracks of the railing. Zach was in the living room, sitting on the couch, waiting for Alexa. He wanted to be the only one there when Alexa got home, but that didn't mean the rest of us wasn't going to eavesdrop.

The door opened.

Alexa was at the door. She slowly crept inside. The lights were turned off, so she didn't see Zach. She began walking in the direction of the stairs, where we sat. She was oblivious to our presence. I only saw the shadow of her, since it was dark, but I could tell she was trying to be sneaky.

Then, the lights turned on, causing Alexa to jump up. She sees Zach now, but she couldn't see the people on the steps. It was a good place to hide, so we could eavesdrop.

Alexa has been gone for three hours, and I didn't want to imagine what she and Benny could have possibly done in that timeframe.

"H-hey, Zach," Alexa greeted. "I went for a stroll and--"

"Cut the crap," Zach interrupted, crossing his arms and standing up from the couch. "I know that you went on that date when I specifically told you not to."

"Zach--"

"Now tell me, what did the date consist of? If you tell me, I night not punish you." When Zach had said the word punish, I notice Alexa flinch back, but she let out a breath, closed her eyes then reopened them.

"We just--went to the movies," Alexa said.

"And what did you see?"

"The newest spiderman movie," Alexa answered.

Zach sighed. "just to be clear, I said might. It's just not in your favor. You are still gonna be punished, little girl. Mom and Bob had called to let me know that they will be gone for a month, so during the duration of that time, you are grounded. Do you understand?"

"But---" Alexa's eyes were wide.

"Do you understand?" Zach repeated his question, not allowing the chance for Alexa to back talk him.

"Fine, whatever," Alexa muttered.

"She's coming," Cameron hissed to me, Justin, Jason and Ryder. Alexa's eyes were stormy as she made way for the stairs.

"Scatter!" the twins said in since, giving each other a quick second glare.

The four of us bolted up the stairs, pleased with our stepsister's punishment.

She totally deserved it.