E I G H T E E N

Alexa

I took a deep breath before opening my door. Michael, Jackson, and Elliot stood behind me. It's time for my friends and family to meet. I'm a nervous wreck. I should've lied to Veronica and just say that they won't be able to come. But once I asked them, it was game over. A part me expected them to say no but all three of them said yes.

"Come on in," I said, hoping that some miracle happened, like the earth swallowing me up flat.

I've never had friends over before in my life time, probably because I didn't have any friends to even invite over. But now.... that's not the case, is it? What if the boys find out what happens in the comfort of my own home? I'll think I'll be super embarrassed. They probably wouldn't want to be friends with me any longer if they knew. They would think I'm pathetic.

I stepped inside to see my older stepbrothers on the couch, including Cameron, but Ryder doesn't seem to be home yet. I wonder, where's Veronica... and Dad? He doesn't work today.

"Nice place." Michael whistled in admiration, stepping in after me, Jackson and Elliot trailing behind him.

Michael's voice got the attention of Cameron. I wanted to just have Veronica meet the boys and then head to my bedroom or something —- with the door opened, of course. I didn't want any of my stepbrothers and friends to interact. But here Cameron was, on the couch, turning his head to see the four of us standing at the doorway.

"Oh, hey, your stepbrothers," Jackson said. All of my stepbrothers were on the couch, but only Cameron seemed to be aware of us.

Cameron narrowed his eyes. I wish he would not pay attention to us. Is that so much to ask for? Zach and the twins glanced over as well and they glared in our direction. Of course they did. They don't like me. As for Cameron, he must've went back to hating me.

"Um, where's Veronica?" I asked, shifting my feet.

"She should be home soon..." Cameron said, standing up, walking over to us.

"For someone who you said won't care about us, he looks like he wants to kill us," Michael whispered. He probably wants to kill me, actually. But, of course, I didn't say that.

"Nah," I said.

"Yes, I do," Cameron said with a sadistic grin.

"He's joking," I say, eighty percent sure.

"I don't think he is," Elliot said, nonchalantly. "What's the deal with your other brothers?"

"They're all my stepbrothers, thank you," I corrected, ignoring Cameron's flinch, because I didn't really care. I mean, he'll probably go back to beating me, but what else is new?

But I saw what Elliot meant. After glaring at us, my stepbrothers were completely ignoring us, mumbling under their breaths, probably about how terrible of a person that I am.

"Alexa, what's going on?" Cameron asked nervously.

I rolled my eyes, wondering when I became so bold. Maybe it was when Elliot, Jackson and Michael befriended me, even though that happened only a few days ago. Still though... there is fear still lingering. Pain, too. I don't think I'll ever be fully rid of it.

"Alexandra Hart!" Cameron snapped. "Aren't you gonna answer me?"

"Alexandra isn't my full name... just Alexa is," I replied dully. "Also, you're not my---" Boss I was going to say, but the thought of what might happened to me if I decided to be a wise crack made my breath heave. But Cameron flicked as if he thought I was going to say something else...