T H I R T E E N

Alexa

"Oh my gosh, she's dying!" I heard Michael's voice say, bringing me out of sleep, but I kept my eyes closed; I wasn't ready to be awake just yet —- but who's dying exactly?

"What are you talking a —- oh," Jackson said, his voice squeaking at the oh.

Now I just feel like I'm being watched —- your brain can sense stuff like that. Why the fuck are their eyes on me when I'm trying to sleep? They need to fucking look away.

"Wow!" Blake gasped —- even him. "She is dying."

"As much as I don't like her, maybe we should call an ambulance." That came from Ethan.

"What's all this about Alexa dying?" Elliot questioned. "It's just—-"

That's what I jolted you. They were talking about me? I clutched my stomach, and muttered, "Ow." Maybe I am dying because that's what it feels like to me....

The boys, except Elliot, all screamed. Am I that scary? I mean, I wish I was, but I'm not really. Unfortunately.

"Alexa, you're awake!" Michael said.

"You look... okay?" Jackson said.

"Thanks?" I furrowed my eyebrows, staring at them, still sitting down, which by the way, was in a purple sleeping bag located in the middle of the living room.

What happened to them?

"She's so far gone, she can't feel it," Blake said as if it was a realization.

"You're right for the first time in your life," Jackson said.

"Seriously, call an ambulance!" Ethan said. "My phone died so I can't..."

"What do you mean I'm dying?" I screeched.

"Your no—-" Elliot started, before being interrupted.

"You're bleeding a tremendous amount!" Michael said. I stared at him a few seconds for him using such a big word. But then my eyes widened, as I realized what he just said.

I looked down and merely groaned. It looked like a crime scene. So bloody... But I'm not dying. I had the talk when I was eight, what the fuck is wrong with these people?

I blushed. "Um, actually, I'm not—-"

Michael leaped forward, and covered my mouth. "Shush!" he said. "If you talk, that's going to speed up your dying process."

Um... what the fuck?

"Call an ambulance!" Ethan screamed for the third time.

"On it," Jackson said, pulling out his phone.

Elliot snacked the phone out of hand.

"Why did you do that?" everyone except Elliot and me demanded. Do they not know anything about... anything?

"I don't want to pay a fine for wasting their time," Elliot said. "She's not dying."

"She's... not...?" Michael slowly removed his hand from my mouth. "I'm pretty sure she is though... like, she's losing blood." Is he really just going to ignore me glaring at him? I don't know where his hand has been and he has the audacity to put it on my mouth?

"Yeah, that's not natural," Ethan said.

"For a girl, it is," I finally said. "It's called a period."

Realization lit up on everyone's faces. Except Elliot; I think he knew though because he's the only smart one here. These boys are twelve or thirteen and they actually thought I was dying. Wow.

"Do you have any pads?" Elliot asked.

I shook my head, looking down. "Um... it's my first one..."

"Don't worry!" Michael grinned. "We'll get you pads! It's not like you can go out looking like a murder victim, right?"

"I guess not..." I fiddled my thumbs. "But I don't have money."

"It's on me." Michael grinned and then glared at Ethan and Blake. "Since I don't trust you, one of you have to come with me. And the other three stays with Alexa. Okay?"

Probably he wants someone to go because he doesn't have a clue about feminine products... wait, I don't either...

Blake groaned. "Rock, paper, scissors?" he asked Ethan. Ethan nodded. Blake lost and he groaned again. "People are gonna think so wrongly of me..."

"Too bad." Michael said, pulling him by his shirt.

"Yeah... he's going to have so much trouble," Elliot said.

"How would you even know?" Jackson snorted.

"I have an older sister," Elliot said. "But I'm sure you have female relatives anyways, you dumbasses, thinking she was gonna die."

"Eh." Ethan shrugged.

I'm still waiting for him or Blake to do something. Yet nothing happened yet...

He even wanted to an ambulance when he thought I was dying... weird

***

Michael

"I, um... why are there different sizes for pads?" I asked Blake. I'm so overwhelmed, looking the shelves filled with pads, liners and tampons. So many options....

Blake shrugged. "I-I don't know," he said, biting his nails.

Who would of thought the two of us would team up to help Alexa? Especially since he bullies her every chance he gets. Why couldn't he be the one bleeding? Who wants blood coming out of them? I think Blake deserves that though.

"Do you need any help?" a kind woman asked us. Great, she's probably wondering why the hell two young boys are in the lady isle. Is she going to kick us out? Maybe this is illegal for guys to look at girl products.

"I... um," Blake shifted his feet. "Well..."

"It's not that weird for the two of you to be over here," she said.

"Oh," I said.

"Well, then yes, we need help," Blake said. "See my girlfriend needs pads. Wait, no, my... uh, sister."

The girl looked at him with disgust. "Are you dating your sister?!"

"Wait, no—-"

"Just ignore him," I said. "But we do need pads for our friend who started her period today."

"The poor thing," she muttered. "Well, here, these should work. My daughter uses these and she's around your age." She handed us a box of pads.

"Thanks," we both said.

That was awkward.

We walked out of the feminine aisle, and bumped into someone. Someone who just so happened to be Alexa's brother. Cameron, I think his name was.

Blake inched back when he glared at us. "Where's the little brat?" he asked. "I mean, Alexa."

"At our mutual friend's house," I answered. "I'm getting her pads. She started her period, you see."

"She..." Cameron raised an eyebrow. "Okay." He stared at the box. He put his hand in his pocket and then threw something at the ground. "I think you dropped that."

I looked down and saw fifteen bucks. Did he just—- But Blake picked it up. "We can use this to pay for those," he said.

"But you threw it on the ground." I stared at Alexa's stepbrother in surprise.

"I did no such thing," Cameron said. "And that's what Alexa better believe, too." And with that hidden threat, he walked away.

Okay, than.