S E V E N T E E N

Alexa

In the morning, I went downstairs, where my stepbrothers were eating breakfast. I, on the other hand, never eats breakfast. Literally. I don't need breakfast, anyways. Or lunch, for that matter. Dinner is enough for me to get by.

My stepbrothers looked at me when I came down. Well, Cameron was the only one that stared at me. The others glared. I don't know what to make of Cameron's apology. I'm waiting for him to say sike. I sighed, biting my lip anxiously. Is something bad going to happen before I even go to school for the day? God, I fucking hope not.

I took a deep breath and turned, preparing to go and open the door to leave.

"Alexa," Cameron called, surprising me, as I was about to leave the house. "Want some breakfast?"

"What are you doing?" Justin hissed. Jason, Zach, and Ryder were all staring him, confused.

"What does it look like?" Cameron hissed back.

"Um, no," I said awkwardly. "I'm good. Uhhh... thanks though."

As I put my hand on the door handle, Cameron said, "Oh, come on, sis!"

Okay, he's scaring me.

I quickly opened the door and rushed out, closing the door behind me. That was a close one. He could've, like, murdered me or something. We're not close enough for him to call me sis. And just because he's... suddenly being nice, doesn't mean he thinks of me as a sister.... Right? Right.

***

I slid into my seat in history class, next to Jackson, Michael and Elliot sitting behind us. I don't even think we have assigned seating yet we always sit in the same spots. It's weird.

I tapped my fingers on my desk, deep in thought. Cameron is no longer being a jerk. Mr. Haynes is supposedly my uncle. Why the hell haven't the hidden cameras shown themselves?

To make matters worse, Veronica really wants to meet my male friends. I have to invite them over. Today. Would they even want to come? I mean, I'm a loser. They'll probably ditch me any day now. People at school are talking about our weird friendship and I don't think it's improving their popularity.

"Alexa! What's the square root of sixteen?"

I sat up straight. Mr. Haynes's sudden question pulled me out of my thoughts. I was about to answer, because thankfully I knew this, but then I furrowed my eyebrows. "Wait... this is history class," I said, confused.

Mr. Haynes chuckled. "I'm just joking, Miss. Hart," he said. "But pay attention and stop daydreaming, okay?"

I nodded, a blush creeping onto my cheeks.

Jackson, from beside me, chuckled, which didn't help keep my cheeks from flaming.

After history is lunch. AKA, Mr. Haynes's break. When the bell rings, I stay put. I've decided to talk to Mr. Haynes alone for the since he dropped the whole relation bomb on me.

"Alexa, you coming?" Michael asked, putting his notebook in his backpack.

I shook my head. "I need to talk to Mr. Haynes about extra credit," I said.

"Want us to wait?" Jackson said.

"I'm hungry," Elliot said. "The fuck I'm waiting." Then he walked out.

I smirked. "You two go on, too."

Michael and Jackson exchanged looks, before finally leaving.

I walked up to Mr. Haynes's desk, who seemed to have been expecting me to stay. I took a deep breath but before I could say anything, he opened his mouth first. "Hey, Alexa. How are you?"

I blinked. "Uh, good, thanks. And you?" I asked. Why is this so awkward?

"Good."

"So..." I shifted my feet. "Are you gonna answer any questions I have?" When Mr. Haynes nodded, I started with this: "What's your first name?" I should probably check the door for that but I'm too lazy to go look now.

Mr. Haynes suppressed a chuckle. "Ryan," he said. "Only call me Ryan outside of school though. Also, it's completely up to you if let anyone know that I am your uncle."

I nodded. "Why did Mom leave the family?"

Ryan sighed. "Because she met your father," he said, causing me to go wide eyed. "But our parents, your grandparents, didn't approve. Your mom, Sarah, was a respectable lady of high social standings from The UK, while Bob was a poor American. Your grandparents weren't bad people, but they were quite strict. Sarah left when she was pregnant with you and Andrew."

"But you don't have a British accent," I said, "and neither did Mom..."

"We were rather young when we moved to America," Ryan admitted.

"Oh... okay." I took that in. "B-But you saw us as babies... didn't you?"

Ryan nodded. "Yes. Sarah only allowed me to know, but I don't know why she changed her mind."

"Is... it just you?" I asked.

Ryan shook his head. "I have a fiance," he said, "and her younger brother, Dylan, as well."

"I hope to meet them," I said. "If... you are my uncle?"

"I am," Ryan said. "Now why don't you go eat lunch? You have fifteen minutes late, after all."

"Okay."

***

I walked to the table that Michael, Jackson and Elliot sat at; it's our usual table, I could say. Like always, I ignored envious stares from girls at surrounding tables. Honestly, sometimes middle school feels like high school we see on television.

The boys greeted me as I sat down. It's time I ask. I have to ask or Veronica won't let this go. "Do you guys want to come over to my house today?" I blurted out. It's the first thing I said as I sat.

"Of course." Michael grinned. "As long as your many brothers don't kill me?"

"Of course not," I said. "They won't care." Just like they don't even care about me. "What about you, Jackson, Elliot?"

"I guess." Elliot said. I don't know if he's bothered or feels obligated or if he doesn't mind coming over...

"Count me in," Jackson says.

"Great." I smiled and began eating.

But on the inside, I was feeling nervous about what might happen after school, so many possibilities running through my head.