T W O

Alexa

I'm stopped at my locker by Blake. He leans against my locker, causing me not to be able to get to it. Blake grins at me and I know that he's going to torture me like every other day.

I mentally prepare myself for what was bound to happen.

"Sup, Lexi," Blake says. I don't correct him that my name isn't Lexi. I hate being called that. I only allowed my brother to and, well, will he ever get the chance to call me Lexi ever again?

"Can I..." I point to my locker, trying not to show any fear but probably failing.

"Oh, you need to get to your locker?" Blake questions.

When I nod, he pulls my backpack off my shoulder and dumps its contents onto the floor. I was mortified when I heard a loud clang from the binder.

"Please don't do this," I begged. "Can't you leave me alone?"

By way of answer, Blake slammed my head against the locker, and I felt the breath get knocked out of me. I fell to the ground, my head pounding. I will not cry this time. I refuse to give Blake the satisfaction.

"Hey!" I hear. "Leave her alone." I turn my head to see the three popular boys in school.

I stared in awe. Elliot was the brain. Jackson was the fist. And Michael has an eccentric personality. They often keep to themselves, so why are they defending me?

Wait, they are defending me, right? Or is someone else getting bullied just right behind me?

I resist the urge to look.

Blake faced them, but once he saw who they were, he looked like he was about to wet his pants. "You talking to me?" Blake demanded, eyes narrowing. I'm surprised. This guy has guts, that's for sure. These guys are feared at our school.

"Who else will we be talking to?" Elliot asked, his expression blank.

"Can I take a swig at his face?" Jackson clenched his fists.

Blake flinched, but then he composed himself. "Whatever," he muttered. "You can have her." He shoved me to the ground and then walked off. I couldn't believe my luck.

"Th-thank you," I managed to say, looking at my feet.

"Aw! She's adorable," Michael said. "Can we keep her, Elliot, please?"

"No," Elliot answered.

"Hey, kid, why was that guy picking on you?" Jackson asked.

I ignored the fact that he called me kid despite us being the same age. I shrugged. "How am I suppose to know?" I questioned, standing up. "He's just a bully and I'm an easy target. Thanks. For your help, I mean."

"No problem," Jackson said with a grin.

"Anytime!" Michael says.

"But just because we helped you, doesn't make us friends," Elliot said.

"Ell-" Michael started.

"Oh, I know that," I say, putting on a smile. "I have to go now."

"Wait!" Jackson said.

He and his two buddies turned and formed a huddle. They were whispering, and so I had no idea what the hell they were saying. I waited patently. They glanced back at me and then whispered some more. Finally, they faced me.

"Want to meet us after school?" Elliot says with a defeated sigh.

I stared at the trio. "Excuse me, what?" Did I hear them right? I must be mistaken or something. Definitely.