T H I R T Y - E I G H T

Alexa

After telling Michael, Jackson and Elliot the good news about the lawsuit to have Ryan take custody of me, even Elliot was smiling — a bit smaller than Jackson's confident smirk and Michael's goofy grin — but a happy, even relieved smile showed up on his face, which was a rare sight, and one that I was happy to witness.

"That's awesome, Lex!" Michael said, enthusiasm laced in his voice. "See, I thought of a suitable nickname for you! Do you like it?" He looked at me with puppy eyes and I couldn't help but grin at him, nodding my head. I like the sound of Lex.

Jackson hit the back of Michael's head as he rolled his eyes, causing Michael to yell out, "Ow!" and slap him back with a slight huff and sticking out his tongue. Elliot rolled his eyes, muttering, "I am surrounded by idiots..." He sighed, looking at me. "So you only have to live with your... 'family' for two more weeks?"

I nodded, an excited smile playing at my lips. "Great, right?" I said, even letting out a small excited giggle at the end. "Ryan is so much nicer! I'm so freaking pumped!" And that was entirely true. I'm so excited, I can barely began to describe the feeling of pure bliss. Soon, my life is about to get a whole lot better.

"We should celebrate!" Michael said, looking between the three of us. "After school how about some pizza? Elliot's treat!"

"Excuse me—" Elliot started to say but then sighed and shrugged his shoulders, like 'oh well.'

"The first good idea you've had since you were born," Jackson said, "I'm in."

Michael glared daggers at Jackson, but didn't comment.

"Me too," Elliot said monotonously, now reading a book that once again somehow popped into existence. I have got to learn how to do that.

"Yeah, me too," I said in agreement. Hanging out with my friends is always so much fun. Add my comfort food into the mix? Oh fuck yes.

***

I entered Ryan's classroom as quickly as I could. Only one person - Emma Harts — that I had never even interact with was in the said classroom, and she wasn't really paying attention, so I went over to my uncle's desk. "Thank you so much!" I told him, practically bursting with enthusiasm.

"For what?" Ryan questioned me, looing deeply confused.

I frowned. "Um, the lawsuit?" I told him hesitantly, filling with dread. Crap. Did he not do it and it was just a joke this whole time? Maybe I got too excited for no reason.

"Oh, that!" Ryan said, his face breaking out into a grin. "There's nothing to thank, Alexa."

"It really means a lot to me," I said truthfully, excitement coursing through my veins as the dread left my body.

As more kids piled into the classroom, I smiled once more at Ryan and then took my seat. Michael, Jackson and Elliot joined me shortly afterwards at our normal area. And so did Ryder, Blake and Ethan... which none of us were so happy about. We just pretended that they weren't there, really.

"Hey, do any of your brothers know about the lawsuit?" Jackson whispered to me.

"Only Cameron does," I whispered back, "but I'm sure they'll find out soon. Not that it really matters."

"WHY ARE YOU GUYS ALWAYS WHISPERING!" Michael shouted, causing the entire class of students to look at him, who was standing up from his seat. His face went red as he quickly sat down.

"Thank you for that, Michael," Ryan said with a heavy sigh, as he face palmed.

"You're welcome!" Michael chirped back.

"It's call sarcasm, dumb ass," Jackson said, rolling his eyes.

"Rude!" Michel stuck his tongue out at Jackson.

Elliot was simply reading his book. I wonder what's so interesting about it...

"Hey, I heard someone mention a lawsuit," Ryder said, turning around. "What lawsuit do you're brothers' don't know about?" he asked, using Jackson's previous term of what he called them.

Blake and Ethan were eavesdropping, but trying to pretend that they weren't — even if it was pretty obvious. They were holding math school books upside down, trying to seem as if that was what they were focusing on. Not only are they upside down, but this is history class.... What idiots, I think inside my head, debating on whether or not I should say that out loud, but I don't really feel like getting beat up, so I didn't mention their stupidity.

"Step brothers," I corrected automatically, and then winced. It was a force of habit, but now that they are just there, not being mean to me, I don't know if I should keep doing that — but I'm sure they'll say the same thing about me if given the chance.

"Yes, we get it, Alexa," Ryder said, rolling his eyes. "So, what's this about a lawsuit? Who has a lawsuit?"

"It's really known of your brothers," Jackson said.

"Then why did you mention me?" Ryder questioned.

"To talk behind your back... quite literally," Jackson said, probably thinking he was clever, since Ryder was in front of him and all — and yeah, I do think that was clever, too.

"Fight, fight, fight," Michael chanted from behind us, causing Jackson to glare at him.

"Well, I wasn't asking you," Ryder said. "I was asking my step sister."

Jackson, Ryder and Michael stared at me.

I pretended to think about it. "I'm with him," I said, pointing to Jackson. Michel fell out of his seat in shock and Elliot raised an eyebrow from behind his book. "Well, not literally with him," I realized my mistake, "but I agree with what he said. That's what I meant."

Ryder rolled his eyes, Elliot ignored us again, Blake and Ethan were still pretending not to eavesdrop on us and Michael climbed back onto his seat as if it was the most difficult thing in the world (Relatable).

Before anyone could say anything else, though, my uncle began teaching, and our topic of conversation was dropped for now.