T W E N T Y - T H R E E

Alexa

Unfortunately, Cameron dropped me off and then left. So now here I was, walking into the lion's den. Where my very rude stepbrothers lived. I didn't even get very far before I saw Jason and Justin in the living room sitting on the couch —— but it's probably better than Ryder and Zach being there.

"Oh, little Lexi's home!" Justin cooed, looking right at me as soon as I entered, causing Jason to burst into fits of laughter. Justin and Jason both stood up from the couch, and looked at each other, wearing identical smirks on their faces.

I sighed. "Please don't call me—-" I started to say, wanting them to literally never call me Lexi ever again. Just like I've told others before.

"Or else what?" Justin said, narrowing his eyes as he walked over to me, followed by his twin brother. I'm jealous that these assholes still have each other, while I practically lost my twin brother two years ago.

Justin glared down at me, towering over my small stance.

"Oh, so you got your ears pierced, did you?" Jason questioned, noticing the earrings, grabbing onto my ear. "What would happen if I pulled the earring out, Alexa?" he asked, and I knew that he didn't actually expected an desert from me.

I didn't move, I just stared into Jason's eyes, my mouth in a tight frown. I refuse to cry, and I refuse to whimper. I refuse to show an ounce of weakness to my abusive, bullying prays of stepbrothers. I can't give them satisfications of effecting me. I can't show weakness around people that purposely make my life a living hell. I know that's what they want.

"Answer him," Justin demanded.

"N-Nothing," I tell him, Jason's band still on my ear. "Can you——?"

Jason scoffed, letting go. For a moment, I thought he would rip my earring out. Cameron would probably hate me all over again if he did.... all of his money down the drain....

When those two merely walked away from me, I felt myself relaxing.

***

Smack.

My hand flew to my throbbing cheek, as I stared at my drunk father. Unfortunately, Veronica wasn't home, and my step brothers all had left — except for Ryder, who happened to have walked in and started laughing.

"You're a lame excuse for a daughter!" Dad growled. "Now get the hell out of my sight."

"Yeah, let's go to school, Alexa." Ryder grinned.

Jackson

I was sitting with Elliot and Michael when Alexa sat next to us, her hand on her cheek. I exchanged looks with Michael, and started talking with our eyes — fighting over who should question her.

But Elliot spoke before we could. He closes the book in his hand and asked, "Why is your hand literally holding your cheek?"

"I-It's not," Alexa so very obviously lied. "I'm just relaxing my face, that's all."

Michael leaned forward, his arm outreached, causing Alexa to flinch back so fast, she fell off of her chair and onto the floor. Michael just stood there, frozen in confusion.

I raised an eyebrow. "Alexa, are you good?" I asked.

Alexa got to her feet, her hands now folded together, leaving us with a clear view of her bright red cheek. "I'm perfectly fine," Alexa said with a clearly forced smile etched on her face.

I clenched my fists, staring at her face. Alexa suddenly realized, causing her hand to fly back in that spot.

"How did that happen?" Elliot asked in a deadly calm voice.

"Fell—"

"Bullshit!" Michael suddenly exclaimed. "What happened! Was it Blake? Ethan? Heck, was it Ryder?"

Alexa sighed. "No..."

"Alexa, tell us what happened," I said calmly.

Alexa stared between the three of us, her expression wavering slightly. "Fine, I'll tell you the truth, but you can't tell anyone, okay?" Alexa said.

Alexa

Am I really going to tell them the truth? I am, I kinda want to... We are friends now, so shouldn't I tell them? Friends aren't supposed to keep secrets from each other, and I think it's time someone knows... Right?

"So you won't tell anyone?" I needed to hear confirmation before I spill the tea.

"Sure." Jackson shrugged.

"If you don't want us to, we won't," Michael promised.

"You can trust us," Elliot said.

"Okay." I took a deep breath. It's now or never. I glanced around nervously, making sure Ryder or anyone else wasn't around to hear. Then, I faced the boys again.

I explained. Everything. About my dad, how I gained abusive stepbrothers. I explained everything. Except for my desire to die — that part I left out. When I was done, Elliot, Jackson and Michael just stared at me unblinking.

I awaited a response. Any response. Even Elliot didn't have his usual cool demeanor. I started fiddling my fingers nervously. "Come on, just say something!" I blurted, unable to take their silent staring any longer, even though it was only one minute.

"Is that true?" Michael asked softly.

I nodded slowly.

"It makes sense," Elliot said, losing his normal monotonous voice. "The way you flinch, or suddenly get scared and even your fearful eyes. We should've realized sooner."

Don't pity me, please.

Jackson stood up. "Stay over at my place for a little while," he said.

My eyes widened. "Oh, no, I couldn't—"

"It's not up for debate," Michael said. "I think you should stay with one of us. Though, I have to ask, hasn't CPS ever gotten involved?"

I gritted my teeth. "CPS is a big joke," I told them. "They leave kids in my situation, but take kids from happy families. All they care about is money! Look it up if you don't believe me." (A/N: Seriously tho, I hate CPS)

"Sorry I asked..." Michael held up his hands in surrender.

"So, Alexa," Jackson awkwardly said, "stay at my place."

I sighed. "I don't know—"

"It's a great idea," Elliot said. "You're staying at Jackson's."

They care.

A smile started spreading on my face. "Thank you, guys."