E P I L O G U E

Third Person

A month later

Andrew opened his eyes.

He stared up at the ceiling, his eyes a bit groggy. The last thing he remembered was that car crash. He sat up and looked around—he was in a hospital; that much was obvious.

He heard some beeping and a nurse rushed in. She gasped when she saw that Andrew was awake.

"What happened? Is my mom and sister okay?" was the first words out of Andrew's mouth.

The nurse—Mandy, from her name badge—pursed her lips. "What's the last thing that you remember?"

"That car wreck."

"That was two years ago," Mandy said with sympathy. Andrew couldn't believe it. He was asleep for two years? "Your mom didn't make it, I'm so sorry."

"I-oh..." Andrew said. "...what about... my sister?"

"She survived the wreck," Mandy said carefully. "I'll call your father up, tell him that you're awake. He'll... explain. You'll be released in a few days."

Andrew nodded, not sure what else to say.

•••

Bob didn't expect to be told that his son woke up from his coma. Veronica and most of her sons didn't even know that Bob had another child. (Zach found out ages ago, as we all know).

The brothers didn't care much for the news, still processing over Alexa being missing. They have no hope, though. They—along with everyone else—believes that she killed herself. And so, there was only a body to be found, if that at all.

In a few days, they'll meet their stepbrother when he comes home from the hospital.

This is only the beginning.