F O R T Y - F I V E

Alexa

So it's Friday, which means that tomorrow is the trial, but I can't bring myself to feel happy even about that, not with everything else going on.

I mean, Michael and Jackson are certainly not on friendly terms by any means, and they seemed to not like me that much at the moment either — but the same could be said for Elliot.

At home, though, my stepbrothers were okay. I'm still a little on edge being around them, but I even found myself laughing or having fun when I am with any of them.

"Their fights doesn't usually last this long," Elliot was telling me as just the two of us sat at our table, but it feels weird without Michael and Jackson.

"How long does it usually last?" I questioned.

"A day," Elliot said. "Maybe two if they're feeling particularly stubborn."

"Oh..." I wasn't sure what else to say. But today, Friday, would be eight days, since they got into that fight the day we were coming home last Friday.

"Yeah."

I felt like screaming. "I just want them to be friends again," I said with a heavy sigh. "Why were they even fighting?" Michael may have told me what happened, but I'm still confused.

"Me too," Elliot agreed, "and I think I have some.... suspicions on how the fight happened. But enough about that. All they need to do is talk it out."

"As if that'll happened," I said. "They can't even be in the same room for very long."

"Well, I think I have an idea," Elliot said, a malicious smirk appearing on his face.

"Oh... you do?" I'm kind of scared.

"Yes, but it'll involve skipping a class," he said.

"Er... let's skip my uncle's class," I decided, still scared about Elliot's idea, "because he's the least likely one to give me detention."

"Fair enough. You'll get Michael and I'll get Jackson. Then we'll meet by the janitor's closet. Deal?

"Why the—"

"Deal?"

"Er, sure."

***

I waited at the entrance of Ryan's classroom for around a minute, before I spotted Michael walking in my direction. He still looked rather angry. But I simply smiled as he approached.

"Hi, Michael!" I said with a grin.

"What, done hanging out with Elliot?" Michael grumbled.

I kept my smile. "Um, yes? Come with me," I said, reaching for his wrist.

Michael stared at my attached arm to his wrist, unimpressed. "I have a class to get to.... right there," he said, pointing at my uncle's classroom door.

"It'll won't take long," I said.

"No—"

"Yes," was all I said, before dragging him.

***

"You bitch," Michael said as he saw Elliot approaching with Jackson, who looked just as pissed off as Michael.

"What's the big idea?" Jackson demanded.

"Yeah!" Michael agreed. "Why is he here?"

"Why are you here?" Jackson shot back.

"Why don't pigs fly?!" Michael demanded, but when everyone stared at him unimpressed, he says, "What? I thought we were asking questions that we clearly won't get the answer to!"

"You guys have to become friends again," Elliot told them, "No matter what it takes."

"Hell no!"

"No way!"

"You don't have a choice," Elliot said, pushing Jackson into the janitor's closest, despite his colorful protests.

"Elliot, what are you doing?" I hissed.

But instead of answering, he pushed Michael into the janitor's closest and shut the door.

Michael

"Let us out! Let us out!" I demanded, knocking on the door. "...or at least let me out! Some friends you are, locking us in here!"

Elliot's face appeared in the window. "What a hypocritical thing to say coming from you," he said, "and you're not coming out until the both of you'll learn to get along."

"As if that's gonna happen! We're better off not being friends!" Jackson yelled.

"Yeah! I'm just a problem to him," I said. "He said so himself."

I got no response from me neither Elliot nor Alexa, but I knew that they were still on the other side, waiting and probably listening.

Jackson merely glanced away, as if he wanted to say something, but wasn't sure what.

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Care to say something?"

"No."

I stepped forward, my fists clenched, even though I was only preparing to yell at him, maybe loud enough for a teacher to hear and come get us out. But it didn't go according to plan.

A stupid broom tripped me as I was walking, causing me to fall, but not on the floor....

Well, this is embarrassing...

My lips smacked right into Jackson's lips and the both of us toppled over, staring wide eyed at each other.

We stayed there for a few seconds, mortified, before I hurriedly jumped away as if he had some kind of contagious disease that will cause the unaffected to wear stupid masks for protection against other people.

Jackson sat up, his hand now on his mouth, as we just stared at each other some more.

After a minute, I was the first to say anything.

"...No homo?" I said weakly.

A few beats later, and Jackson broke into a grin. "Extra homo," he joked.

My eyes filled with tears as a smile graced my face. I lunges forward and wrapped him into a hug.

"Considering what just happened, this is a bit weird," Jackson said, but then he hugged me back.

And just like that, we were back to being friends again.

The door opened and Jackson and I pulled away, holing no one saw the... lip contact... that we had. Elliot had a neutral face, and Alexa was smiling. I missed her smile... I was such a jerk to her and to Elliot, too.

"H-How much did you see?" Jackson asked.

"Just you guys hugging," Alexa answered. "So we figured you guys made up."

"Oh, yeah, we did."

"Oh, lex, Ellie—" I exclaimed, jumping up.

"Don't call me that," Elliot said.

"Im trying to apologize! Shush!" I demanded, before saying, "I'm so sorry, guys!" I practically yelled. "I never wanna be mean to either of you ever again! Please forgive me."

"Whatever," Elliot said, abs I knew he had forgiven me.

"Yes, I forgive you," Alexa said, but I knew I needed to make an extra effort, even if she said she had forgiven me. I mean, after the way everyone had treated her, to have her own friends treat her like trash for no reason...

"I'm sorry, too," Jackson said, standing up.

"It's okay," Alexa said.

"Oh, you guys!" I grinned, before wrapping my arms around all of them, forming a group hug. Not even Elliot complained.

Our group was together again.