T H R E E

Alexa

Eight of us. Dad. Veronica. Zach. Cameron. Justin. Jason. Ryder. And then me.

Because of this, we had to split up into two different cars. My dad thought it would be a good idea for him and Veronica to ride together in a five person vehicle and then the rest of us in a seven passenger vehicle. I knew he wanted some alone time with Veronica and less time with me, but he said that he thought this was the perfect opportunity to have my bond with my soon to be stepbrothers.

I got in the middle section, along with Ryder, who was not happy about sitting next to me whatsoever. Jason and Justin sat in the back and Cameron sat in the passenger's seat while Zach was going to drive. I took a deep breath, hoping that this car ride wouldn't be too long. I had the feeling none of the brothers were very fond of me, and I'm shy around new people, or any people. Or any people. My anxiety is a nuisance.

"You're such a loser," Jason said and I looked back at him.  What's with this sudden rudeness? I was just minding my own business. Like, seriously? I was just sitting here!

Justin nodded. "I agree. She looks like a fucking cunt, too." Uh.... okay? What the hell, man.

"E-Excuse me," I say softly. What's their problem with me?"

"What are you, deaf?" Justin sneered.

"No, but—" I started.

"Or just plain stupid?" Jason asked.

Ryder turned to me, grinning. "Obviously stupid. Just look at her."

I could feel tears filling my eyes, and I looked down at my hands which were on my lap. Why are they being such jerks? Do I really have to put up with them, since Dad is marrying Veronica? Honestly, my life is the absolute worse. I should just run away or something. I wish I had the guts to do that, but I'm a huge coward.

"No need to insult her," Zach says from behind the wheel, causing me to widen my eyes. Maybe one of them doesn't completely hate me. Maybe he's the nice brother.

"Thank y—-" I started to say.

"After all, you're only stating the obvious," Zach finished, interrupting my thanks.

"Very true," Cameron agreed.

"Never mind," I muttered.

"We don't want a sister," Ryder says. "Least of all you! You're just a brainless waste of space."

"You're not looking in a mirror," I blurted, then quickly covered my mouth, not believing I actually said that. But with everyone glaring at me like that, with hatred in their eyes and sneered mouths, I am probably going to die. I let out a small, barely noticeable gulp.

Ryder gritted his teeth. "What the hell did you just say to me?" His tone was deadly calm, causing me to let out another gulp, but a little louder one than the last. Ryder clenched his fists, and I put my hands over my face to protect myself.

"Oh, look, we're here," Cameron says fully, as Zach parks the car that we were in.

Before anyone could stop me, I bolted out of the car and ran into my dad and Veronica, who parked their car right next to us. Veronica gave me a questioning look while Dad merely scoffed. I let out a heavy breath, my eyes wide and fearful.

"Everything okay?" Veronica asked me in what sounded like genuine concern.

I glanced behind me to see the boys getting out, Justin being last. Ryder was glaring at me, warning me with his eyes that if I said anything it'd be the last thing I'll do.

I looked back at Veronica. "Yeah," I muttered.

***

The next day came something I was dreading - moving day.

This was all moving so fast - pun not intended - and I spent all night packing while my dad got drunk, but whatever.

But I still have to go to school. I won't be coming back here though, I'll go to Veronica's house. She'll be picking me up, which I am beyond grateful for since she's the only one that seems to like me.

***

At school, I tried to avoid Blake.

Tried, being the key word. It's kind of hard to avoid someone who just so happens to be looking for you because they want to make sure you're miserable. Blake in a nutshell, people.

"Sup, Lexi," Blake greeted me, grabbing my wrist. "Not so tough without those other kids, huh? You freaking slut. Are you dating all three of them or something?"

"Let go of my wrist," I say, just finally realizing nothing's going to change and I'm going to be harmed no matter what the hell I say.

Blake raises an eyebrow. "What happened to that meek voice, Lexi?" he questioned with an amused voice. "I kind of liked hearing the terror. C'mon, sound scared for me." He squeezes my wrist but I just stare at him with no expression on my face.

My life can't get any worse. I have to live with bullies now. I can handle Blake... probably. Maybe not, actually...

But then I see Blake's eyes widen and I wonder why. Could it be he suddenly sees me in a new light? Or—-

Oh, he's looking just right behind me.

"Let go," Jackson said, stepping beside me. Blake hesitantly let go and Jackson nodded. "I catch you bullying anyone again, you're dead, got that?"

Blake slowly nodded.

"Now walk away," Jackson said. When Blake does (after one glare in my direction), Jackson turns to me and says, "Follow me, Alexa. Me and the boys would like a few words."

Did he save me just to beat me up?

But....

Maybe I'm just being paranoid?

Yeah.

"Okay," I say, curiosity seeping through me.

But isn't there a saying that goes 'curiosity killed the cat?' I mean, I'm not a cat, so I'm good..... right? Yeah, let's just go with that for now.

And with that, I followed Jackson, either meeting my doom or maybe not, I'm not sure.

I just hope I don't regret this.