S E V E N

Alexa

After dishes (which took thirty minutes) and after I got dressed, I was finally ready for school. Physically, at least. I wish I could just stay home... well, a home with just myself in it, I mean.

"Fucking loser," Ryder, currently eating cereal at the table, said.

As long as he doesn't throw any punches, I'm good... probably. Zach, Cameron, and the twins already left for school. Ryder will be taking the bus to his school. As for me, I'll be walking.

Then I heard a honk outside. And then a doorbell. I looked at Ryder who glared at me. "Are you dumb? Open the damn door yourself, he said, clearly annoyed with me for no reason.

"Okay."

You wouldn't believe who was at the door.

Michael.

As in, the Michael that was Andrew's friend and now I guess my friend too. I stared at him. "Um, hi?" I said, raised an eyebrow, giving him a questioning look. "Uh, what are you doing here? How the hell did you know where I live?"

Michael said, "Don't use such language, young lady!" I was about to resort but he continued. "Since we're friends, we might as well ride to school together, right? Elliot and Jackson are out in the car."

Excuse me, what? There was a lot to unpack with what Michael had just told me, but one thing stood out to me more than anything else had.

"You can't drive!" I tell him, completely stun. "You're only twelve!"

I can't believe THAT was the thing I commented on. "But how'd you know where I lived?" I repeated my previous question, being kind of weirded out that Michael was at my doorstep.

"That's for me to know and for you to find out," Michael answered in a way that made me want to punch him. Which made guilt course through me. Considering what I go through on a daily basis, why would u ever want to punch someone who wants to be friends with me?

I bit my lip. I'm a terrible person. Maybe I do deserve all of this suffering.

"And I'm not driving," Michael continued on with a goofy smile on his face. "Let's go."

Then Michael made a very dramatic gasp so I stared at him, wondering if he needed mental help. "You okay?" I asked him, worriedly and more confused if anything.

"You have a boyfriend?" Michael questioned, his mouth agape.

My face turned bright red. Where the hell did that question come from?

"Erm... no?" I answered. No one could ever like me, anyways.

But then I noticed that Michael was staring just right behind me.

I turned and saw Ryder standing there right behind me with a blank expression on his face. "Oh!" My eyes widened in realization. I turned back to Michael. "This is my stepbrother, Ryder. Ryder, this is—-"

"I don't care," Ryder says, walking out the door. Well, fuck you too then. I didn't say that of course. I didn't want Michael to witness the bullying I endure at home. Not like how he sees at school.

"He seemed nice!" Michael said as if he actually thought Ryder was, well, nice. Oh, if only he knew the truth, then he'll be saying something completely different about my stepbrother.

Or he'll see that I'm the problem.

After all, I'm so unliked, there must be something wrong with me.

"Now, c'mon!" Michael grabbed my wrist. "Elliot will probably have the driver drive off without us if we take too long."

"Oh... why did you come pick me up?"

"Because we're friends!" Michael said, as if it was obvious.

"We literally just become friends though," I say, confusion evident in my tone.

"So?" Michael grinned. "But we really should be going..."

I have so many questions, too many. They were all jumbled up in my mind. I didn't know what to ask, except this: "Are you kidnapping me?"

"Yes."

"WHAT?!"

"Just kidding! Now COME ON NOW!"

Seems Michael is done being patient, aye? But maybe I did make friends and these friends want to drive me to school.

Wow.

***

It was a very awkward car ride. We were all sitting in the back, even though that's illegal but everyone does this so I don't really care. I was squished between Michael and Jackson while Elliot sat on the other side of Jackson.

I mean, there is an available seat in the front. Why are we squished together?

"So Alexa, on the weekend you're coming over to my house," Jackson said with a grin. "It's a tradition. We have fun and whatnot."

"Yeah," Michael agreed. "Since you don't have other friends, you shouldn't be too busy, right? Oh! Maybe we can all spend the night and Alexa just tells her parents she's staying with a girl."

"Um, well my parents won't be home," I say, remembering today is Thursday. I hope the boys don't drug my water or anything. But it's better than staying with my stepbrothers.

"Then come over," Michael says.

"Who's watching you?" Elliot asked.

"My stepbrother," I answer. "He's eighteen. He won't care even if I tell him you're boys." If I even tell him, that is.

"How many stepbrothers do you have?" Michael asked incredulously.

I shrugged, not really wanting to answer. They're not something to be proud of. "I have five," I say. "I don't really like them. Then Andrew makes six brothers, but I like him well enough." I wish he'd wake up...

"Why don't you like your stepbrothers, Alexa?" Jackson asked.

I shrugged again. "I just don't, okay? Maybe just because my dad married their mom," I answer - well, more like I lied about that last bit, but whatever.

It doesn't matter. It won't be smart to tell them anything of importance just yet. They literally just befriended me. I'm not sure if I can trust them yet. Heck, they could just be using me. But maybe one day I'll be able to confide in them, if our friendship gets that deep. For now, I'll start with the small things.

I hope they're not pretending to be my friends.