T W E N T Y

Alexa

Ryan pulled into the driveway of what was assuming to be his house. It wasn't as big as Veronica's house, but I already loved it far more, just because my subdued family members don't live here. I hope my supposed uncle isn't a serial killer or anything, but what do I have to lose? Besides my life, I mean, but would I really be losing that?

All I know is that I am willing to take the chance that Ryan is going to murder me. At least if I'm dead, I'll finally be at peace.

I got out of the car, as Ryan did as well from the driver's seat. I took an exasperated breath, wondering what Ryan's fiancé and her brother will be like. I hope that they are nice, unlike some people I know (I think we all know who I'm talking about right now).

"Come on, Alexa," Ryan said, as he opened the door to the house. I sucked in my breath —— I guess it's time to meet his fiancé and her brother. I hope they don't think I'm a total loser like everyone else seems to think about me. Well, I mean, I guess Michael clearly thinks that I am a loser, but even so, he likes me despite that..... right?

I followed Ryan into his house, looking at my surroundings. It was a cozy enough home, in my opinion. I stopped in my tracks when I noticed a young woman sitting on the couch.

"Malissa," Ryan said. "I brought a guest for you to meet, sweetheart."

Malissa stood up and faced us, her low red hair in a pony tale, her blue eyes lighting up. "Oh, hello!" she greeted. "You must be Alexa! I'm Malissa, your uncle's fiancé." She held her hand out, waiting for me to shake it. I obliged. It's clear that Ryan had told Malissa about me, which made me kind of happy. But also a little wary. I decided to ignore that, since everything makes me wary, one way or another. It's actually quite annoying to live with that.

"Hey," I said, my voice soft and timid, feeling shy around this new person. "It's nice to meet you," I added politely, a small smile gracing my face.

"Likewise," Malissa said, not an ounce of insincerity. She wore a smile, like I did, but hers were far wider than the smile upon my face, I couldn't help but notice.

A bigger smile curved at my lips, pleased that she genuinely was happy to meet me. Malissa seems so nice, and soon, she'll be my aunt. I wanted to ask when the wedding will be, but I didn't want to overstep my boundaries. Is that even a rude question? I wouldn't know.

"Hey, Malissa, where's Dylan?" Ryan questioned his fiancé. Hm, I'm assuming Dylan is Malissa's brother, whom I'm also supposed to meet.

"Oh, he's in his bedroom," Malissa answered, and then raised her voice. "DYLAN! Come here! Ryan is here with Alexa. Remember, she was as coming today?!"

"Coming!" came the response from who I'm assuming to be Dylan. He trudged in, wearing a beanie and a leather jacket. He nodded in my direction, and I gave him an awkward half way. He seemed to be around fifteen. "Sup, I'm Dylan," he said. "You're Alexa, I'm guessing?"

I nodded. "Yup, that's me," I confirmed.

Ryan and Malissa made their way to the couch, as Ryan said, "Why don't you and Dylan hang out?"

Dylan shrugged, glancing at me. "Is that another way of saying you want me to babysit a ten year old?" he chuckled. If anyone else had said it, it would probably be an insult, but Dylan sported a good natured grin, that told me he meant nothing malicious by it.

"I'm twelve, actually," I corrected. "Almost thirteen." In, like, ten months, but he doesn't need to know that.

"If you say so," Dylan said, rolling his eyes, humorously. "Hey, so what do you want to do?" he asked me, and I shrugged in response. We looked over at Ryan and Malissa being all lovey dovey on the couch. "Want to watch a movie in the second living room?" he suggested, after gagging at the sight.

"Sure," I answered.

•••

My uncle dropped me off at my house a little after six. Veronica and my dad weren't home so it's unclear whether or not either of them knew that I didn't come home after school, but whatever. I didn't see my stepbrothers, but that doesn't really mean anything, except for the fact that they're probably upstairs, not downstairs. Besides, the front door was unlocked so someone was home, I just didn't know who exactly.

I made my way upstairs without a single encounter with anyone that would probably want to kill me. But then I opened up my bedroom door to see someone in there. In my bedroom.

"Cameron?" I questioned, appalled, suddenly not caring about my tone —- does a girl's privacy mean nothing to him? What is he doing? Why the hell is he laying down on my bed?!

Cameron sat up when I entered, a grin appearing in his face. "Hi, Alexa," he said. "How are you? Actually where were y—-"

"Sorry, but I'm not interested in small talk," I said, staring at him with narrowed eyes, that went unnoticed by him. "What are you doing is the question I'm wondering."

Cameron shrugged, looking around. "Sitting on your bed, what does it look like I'm doing?" he questioned, saying it as if I'm the dumb one for asking such a 'silly' thing.

"But why?" I said, my left eye starting to twitch —- it's a thing that I do when I get too annoyed. I don't know why, but oh, well.

"I think you need to go see an eye doctor," Cameron stated, ignoring my question, as he stood up. He smiled a goofy grin, patted my shoulder as if we're chummy, and then walked out of my bedroom —— with no explanation.

What the fuck, Cameron.