XXXVI - AMERICAN GOTHIC

Start from the beginning

   In an attempt to find out where Katherine was, Elijah had been met with Stefan on the phone, after the three made their way to an empty alley. As he dealt with the Salvatore, the two sisters waited in silence, their eyes occasionally meeting as they glanced at one another. Audrey had nothing to say to her sister, but by the smirk Elena wore every time they locked eyes, it was clear she had something to say. The couple knew Elena no longer had her humanity, Katherine made a point to mention it when she reached out to them, though she never mentioned why. Audrey didn't care, she knew Stefan and Damon would eventually solve the problem. She wasn't getting involved in her siblings problems anymore.

   "What?" Audrey eventually snapped, as Elena's smirk appeared once more.

   "Nothing." Elena shrugged. "Is that any way to talk to your own sister, Rey?"

   "That word stopped applying to us." She shot back.

   Elena rolled her eyes. "Right, because you're done with me now." She nodded. "Because I've been such an awful sister to you. It's a bit hypocritical, don't you think? Since you're here helping Katherine, after what she's done to both of us."

   "We're here to see what she wants." Audrey corrected her. "We've not agreed to help her with anything."

   "Still." Elena crossed her arms. "You're both idiots."

   "Excuse me?" Elijah raised a brow, looking unamused as he joined them. "She contacted us when she learned of the cure. She thinks we can be of mutual use to each other."

   Elena let out of scoff. "Of mutual use? Please. You two are falling for her trap just ever other one of those idiots."

   Elijah was unfazed by her words. "You underestimate me, Elena. I know who she is. I know what she's done. As does Audrey."

   "And you think she's changed?" The eldest twin raised a brow. "She's playing you both. She's lying to you."

   Audrey took a deep breath, trying not to lose her temper with her. "Well, she clearly didn't lie about you turning your humanity off." She shot back, and the smirk reappeared for a brief second on Elena's face, before it faded. "Why?"

   "Our brothers dead." Elena said with a blank face, making Audrey freeze. Elijah looked at her instantly, his face falling and concern filling his eyes. "Katherine killed him." She gave her sister a look. "But it's not like you care, right? You were done with him too."

   "My love." Elijah took her hands gently.

   But she didn't answer. She just felt numb, opening her mouth to speak but no words coming out. Audrey didn't know how she was supposed to feel. She couldn't forgive him or Elena for what they did to Kol, for any of it. No matter what, that was never going to change. But it didn't mean him being gone was easy to deal with. Even angry at him, she never wanted him to die. Elijah kissed her forehead, pulling her into his arms, and she didn't fight it. Instead, she hid her face in the crook of his neck, taking a moment to compose herself. 

   Elijah rubbed her back, his eyes glancing at Elena who watched them carefully. "I know what it feels like to lose a brother. And I'm sorry for your pain. I...I only hope that you can find your way back to yourself someday."

   "Like you probably thought Katherine found her way back? It's won't happen, Elijah. She's a monster now." Elena shot back, rolling her eyes. "You boys are all the same. Damon and Stefan still think that the girl they love is still in here somewhere, too."

   "I have no expectations or hopes for Katerina, Elena." Elijah shook his head firmly. "I'm only here to see about the cure, nothing more. As for the Salvatore's, you can't blame them for having hope."