XI - KLAUS

   Audrey wasn't sure how long she'd been down there.

   She let out a small huff of breath, pushing herself to her feet. She needed to move, even if it was just to pace away the small cell, feeling her legs starting to fall asleep on her. She looked at Elijah's body with a sigh, and glanced out of the open cell door, praying no one would come downstairs before he woke up. Suddenly, Elijah let out a sharp gasp, making the Gilbert girl jump slightly.

   "Elijah." Audrey said gently, moving and bending down at his side.

   Elijah stiffened slightly as he looked at her. "Katerina."

   Audrey blinked at that, slowly shaking her head. "No. No, Elijah, it's me. It's Audrey."

   He stared at her for a long moment, before laying his head back on the floor, and closing his eyes. Audrey stared for a long moment, going to move closer when he gasped again, his body in spasm as he forced himself to his feet. "I can't-I can't breathe!" He gasped out. "What's happening to me?" He rushes toward the door, slamming into the wall. "I can't...I can't be in this house."

   Audrey's eyes widened in realization. "You're not invited in."

   "Then get me out of here." With that, he rushes into the hallway, slamming into the wall again before disappearing upstairs.

   Grabbing the dagger from the floor, Audrey ran upstairs as quietly as she could, heading straight toward the front door. Elijah crouched on the ground outside, as Audrey walked up to the open doorway, able to breath again. Hearing her approach, the original got to his feet and rushed toward the door, getting stuck at the threshold. Audrey didn't flinch, and looked at him calmly, unable to blame him for looking wary of her.

   "What happened?" He demanded.

   "Sshh." She hushed in a whisper, pointing upwards knowingly. Elijah glanced up and nodded, understanding what she meant. "I'll tell you. Not here." She then held the dagger out to him, looking at him honestly. "I didn't know what they were planning."

   Elijah locked eyes with her, and after a moment, he nodded as he took the dagger from her hands. He could trust her, just Audrey had always trusted him. A small smile appearing on her face, Audrey grabbed her jacket and car keys from the side, and closed the door behind her as she joined him outside.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

   Once they were far enough away from the boarding house, Audrey pulled the car over off the road, glancing at Elijah. He sat in the passenger seat beside her, draining the blood bag she'd taken from the basement for him. His skin was losing the grey colour it had taken, the veins from being desiccated having completely vanished.

   "You look better." She nodded, breaking the silence that had fell over them.

   Elijah pulled the empty bag from his lips. "Where did they get the dagger?"