VI - CRYING WOLF

   In Caroline's bedroom, the four girls laid messily across her double bed, trying to sleep despite the sunlight pouring through the curtains. They'd had a long night, from consoling Caroline when she eventually broke down about what happened, to watching trashy movies and eating any available junk food until they fell asleep. Caroline and Audrey had claimed the middle of the bed, curling up into each as they slept, while Elena and Bonnie slept on either side of them.

   A phone buzzing broke the silence they slept in, earning a chorus of groans and whines from each of them. "Go away!" Caroline whined, pushing Elena out of bed and pulling a pillow over her head.

   "Uh." Elena groaned, crawling along the floor with a huff, and grabbing her phone from the dresser to answer it. "Hello?"

   "Shh!" Bonnie hushed with a sleep filled glare.

   "Elena!" Caroline whined, giving her the same glare Bonnie was.

    Audrey pulled the pillow out from underneath her own head, and sat up, chucking it at her twin with full force. "Out!" She ordered, pointing at the door with a frown, before laying back down in bed.

   Slowly, Elena crawled out of the room and into the hall, allowing the three to try and get back to sleep. Audrey knew she needed to get up herself, knowing she'd promised Jenna she'd keep her company today, after her aunt was roped into the Historical Society high tea event. But, she couldn't bring herself to move, and instead snuggled herself deeper beneath the sheets.

   Being late would be worth a little extra sleep, and nothing would change her mind about that. Before she could fall back to sleep, a ringing sound filled the room once more, earning yet another chorus of groans from the three teenagers. 

   Caroline pulled the sheets over her head, burying her face in her pillow as she asked. "What is it now?!"

   Audrey sighed as recognized the sound, and pulled the sheets over her head. "My alarm."

   "AUDREY!"

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

   Audrey picked up the pace slightly, as she walked up the driveway toward the Lockwood house, pulling her hair up into a ponytail as she did so. After eventually dragging herself out of Caroline's bed, the Gilbert girl raced home to shower and change, before heading to meet Jenna for the historical society event. She would of made it with some time to spare, but she ended up being distracted by a call from Elena, who was heading to the lake-house with Stefan for the weekend. With everything going on, Elena needed a break from everything going on, and it gave her a chance to avoid John more. 

   "What are you doing here?" Damon Salvatore rose a brow at the girl, who was getting out of his car as she walked past.

   Audrey slowed her pace down slightly, turning back to look at him. "I'm meeting up with Jenna." She rose her own brow at him. "What are you doing here?"