VIII - THE HOUSE GUEST

   Audrey was good at avoiding people when she wanted to be. During one of her and Caroline's rare friend fights, Audrey managed to avoid the girl for a week straight, until they both eventually stopped being stubborn and apologized. After what happened at the dinner party, Audrey had been avoiding both of the Salvatore brothers, along with her sister. She wasn't ready to hear what they had to say, or act like she never said anything at all, which she assumed they were going to do.

   "I suck." Audrey rose a brow at Caroline's words, as the blonde joined the Gilbert girl at her locker. "The one thing I'm good at is talking, and when it comes to Matt, I can't even do that anymore."

   "Things still weird between you two?" Audrey guessed.

   "Big time." Caroline confirmed, giving a small nod. "He wants me to tell him how I feel, or leave him alone. I don't know what I'm supposed to do, Audrey.  I like Matt, so much, but I'm trying to protect him too."

   "But he doesn't know that." The brunette reminded her softly. "He's confused, Care."

   "I know." The blonde sighed, resting her head back against the lockers. "At least I can use girls night tonight to take my mind off of it."

   "I'd forgotten about that." Audrey admitted, closing her locker and leaning back against it. "I might not join in. I'm not really in the mood."

   "No way." Caroline warned her firmly, quickly shaking her head at the idea. "You need this just as much as I do. So, you're joining in, and I'll play buffer between you and Elena if you want. But there is no way in hell you're ditching tonight, okay?"

   Audrey's lips twitched up in amusement, before raising her hands in defeat. "Alright, okay." She gave in. "I'll still come tonight. It's at my house anyway, I was never going to get the choice, thinking about it."

   Linking their arms together, the two began to make their way down the hallway for their next class, when Audrey spotted Alaric waving to her. He nodded inside his classroom, clearly gesturing for her to join him, and she sighed. Muttering goodbye to Caroline, she made her way into the familiar history classroom, closing the door behind her. She rolled her eyes when she turned to see her sister, but didn't say anything to her, perching on the desk furthest from her. 

   "John's going to end up dead on the kitchen floor if he's not careful." Elena fumed, after Alaric filled the twins in on his fight with Jenna. 

   "Yeah, well, easier said than done. I gave him his ring back so..." The history teacher trailed off with a sigh. "Look, Jenna keeps asking about Isobel. You know, was she murdered? Why haven't they found the body? I mean, how much longer can she stay in the dark?"

   Audrey caught onto what he was suggesting. "You think we should tell her the truth?"

   "I'm saying I can't be with her and not tell her." Alaric said honestly. "It's not fair to her, and it's not the kind of relationship I want."