XXIV - OUR TOWN

   No matter what was happening in her life, or how she might be feeling, Audrey always had a smile on face on October 10th. It was Caroline's birthday, and they'd never missed each others birthday, not since the day they'd became friends. Ever since the incident with Jeremy, Klaus had been keeping a very close eye on Audrey, keeping her on bed rest as much as he possibly could. The nose bleeds and chest pains were becoming more frequent, and lately, she'd also been getting lightheaded when the nosebleeds were occurring. But, that wasn't going to stop Audrey from celebrating her best friends birthday, and she made her way to school early to help decorate Caroline's locker.

   She hadn't spoken to her sister since she'd moved out, but she refused to let that ruin the day. It wasn't through lack of trying on her part, she'd sent her the odd message in an attempt to keep the peace between them, but Elena hadn't replied. Paperboard tucked under her arm, she made her way toward Caroline's locker, where Elena was stood sticking balloons to the door. 

   "Hey." Elena blinked in surprise when she saw her sister. "I didn't know you were coming in today." She looked her sister up and down, her eyes scanning her face with concern. "Rey, are you okay?"

   Audrey ignored the last question, brushing past her and pinning the large Happy Birthday Caroline! sign to the locker door. "I wouldn't miss today." She answered simply.

   "Look." Elena bit down on her bottom lip. "There's something that I need to tell you."

   Audrey turned and raised a brow at her, but didn't get chance to say anything, as Bonnie walked over to them with a tired smile. "Hey, sorry I'm late, I...I got held up."

   "It's fine, I just got here. So did Rey." Elena assured her. "What got you running late?"

   "I was...working on some new spells." Audrey gave Bonnie a look, but the Bennett girl just shook her head at her, focusing on Elena. "You?"

   "Working out with Alaric." Elena replied, then glanced between her sister and her best friend, looking wary. "So, I have something I need to tell you both, and you're not going to like it."

   "What happened?"

   Elena's eyes mostly focused on Audrey as she got the courage to tell them. "Jeremy is gonna be leaving town for a while. He'll be staying with some old family friends in Denver, until this whole Klaus thing blows over."

   "What?" Audrey stared at her in disbelief. "Since when?"

   Bonnie looked just as confused. "Jeremy wouldn't just leave you to deal with Klaus on your own. He wouldn't just leave Audrey."

   "I know..." Elena agreed slowly. "I asked Damon to compel him."

   Audrey's look of surprise morphed into a glare. "You got Damon to compel him?!" She snapped, keeping her voice low as people walked by him. "Did you learn nothing from last time you had him compelled? And since when did I not get a say in you messing with our brothers head?"