IX - KNOW THY ENEMY

   Audrey thought about something Elena said in the Grill earlier that evening. How to protect the people they love, they've lied to keep them out of everything, and only ended up hurting them in the end. She tore her eyes off of Isobel, and looked at Jenna, who was stood in a stunned silence. She could see the tears in her eyes, all of the hurt, and she felt sick with guilt. She opened her mouth to say something, anything, but she could form the words.

   "Hello, Elena. Hello, Audrey." Isobel looked at her daughters one by one. "It's nice to see you both again."

   Jenna looked at the sisters, betrayal in her eyes as she took in what Isobel said. "Again?"

   "So you're the woman who's dating my husband." Isobel said after a moment, as neither Elena or Audrey knew what to say. "I need to speak to Elena and Audrey. May I come in?"

   "N-n-no." Elena stuttered out, shaking her head rapidly as she walked closer. "Don't...don't invite her in."

   "I need to talk to you, girls." The Flemming woman told them, giving them both a look.

   "No!" And before she could say anything else, Elena slammed the door in her face. 

   Tears fell down Jenna's face, as she looked between Elena and Audrey. "You knew she was still alive? Ric? John? Did they know?"

   "Jenna..." Audrey trailed off, finally finding her voice again. "Please. W-we can explain everything."

   "No." Not giving either of them a chance to say more, Jenna moved past them and ran upstairs. 

   "No. Jenna, please." Exchanging a quick look, the twins ran upstairs after her, only to see Jenna lock herself in her bedroom. "Jenna, you have to talk to us. We...we need to explain what's going on. Jenna, please." Elena pleaded, hitting her hand on the door desperately.

   Leaning her back against the door, Audrey slid down it till she was sat on the floor, holding her head in her hands. "Jenna...we're so sorry."

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

   Jenna refused to come out of her room that next morning, not that either girl could blame her. Alaric arrived when she eventually did come downstairs, but she didn't stick around long. Not ready to hear a word the three of them had to say, she left the twins with instructions to pick up check from the historical society, before leaving to stay on campus for a few days. The only silver lining in it all, if Audrey could even consider it one at this point, was watching Alaric punch John in the mouth.

   Then, things seemed to only get worse. Stefan arrived to check on Elena, and told them that now Matt knew what Caroline was, after she had to give him her blood last night. He'd disappeared before she could make him forget, so now Matt was missing, questioning what Caroline was and everything that happened to Vicki.