V - DADDY ISSUES

   Audrey could hear the news playing on the TV as she walked toward the kitchen, instantly going in the direction of the coffee pot. She was oblivious to who was in the kitchen with her, mumbling a good morning on the assumption it was one of her siblings, but the voice that replied to her made her freeze. Placing the cup in her hands down, she spun on her heel to look, her expression going blank at who she saw.

   "Why the hell are you here?" The words came out of her mouth without any hesitation, her eyes narrowing into a glare.

   "Good to see you too, Audrey." John Gilbert nodded, rolling his eyes with a sigh. 

   "That doesn't answer my question." Audrey said bluntly. "Why the hell are you here? Who even let you in the house?"

   "Answer the question." Elena told him as she walked in, looking as unimpressed to see him as her sister was.

   John ignored both of them, raising his mug toward the older twin. "Coffee?"

   "We're not doing that." Elena warned him, crossing her arms over her chest. "We did that last night. No more avoiding. Why are you here?"

   "You let him in the house?" Audrey realized, looking at her in disbelief. "Have you lost your mind?"

   Audrey was convinced they'd seen the last of John Gilbert, after Katherine took his fingers off on her return to town. Upon finding out her and Elena were adopted, Audrey tried to picture what their biological parents looked like in her head, and who they really were threw any of those expectations out of the window. To her, it didn't matter who they were, no one would ever be able to replace her mom and dad. She knew that from the start of it all. No matter what, Miranda and Grayson were her parents, and Isobel Flemming and John Gilbert just affirmed that for her.

   "I'm here to protect you." John answered the pair vaguely. "That's all I can say for the moment."

   Elena looked at him in disbelief. "What do you mean that's all you can say?"

   "I'll tell you more when I'm convinced I can trust you both."

   Audrey let out a loud scoff. "We're the ones that can't be trusted? You're kidding me, right?"

   Before anything could be said, Jenna came running into the kitchen, dumping her bag down on the table. "Oh God, I'm late." 

   Alaric followed in behind her, chuckling slightly. "That's what you get for hitting the snooze three times!"

   Jenna paused in her steps, as her eyes fell onto John, not even trying to hide her displeasure. "What the hell?"

   John looked at the pair, the same look on his face he'd given both Elena and Audrey. "Good morning to you, Jenna. Alaric..."

   The Sommers woman looked at him for a moment, before looking toward her nieces for answers. "It's okay I'm confused, right?" She asked the girls, before glancing back at him. "Because we were not expecting you, like, ever."