XIII - AS I LAY DYING

Start from the beginning

   "Bite?" Audrey repeated. "What bite?"

   The raven haired man didn't answer, walking out the front door, tugging Audrey along behind him. But Audrey felt herself hit something, and froze in her tracks. She looked around the doorway in confusion, Damon's look matching hers as she tried to step over the threshold once again, only to remain stuck inside the apartment. 

   "Klaus had Greta seal you in here." Katherine said after a moment. "He doesn't want you going anywhere."

   Damon glared at her. "Didn't think that was important to mention sooner?"

   "Damon, it's fine." Audrey swallowed the lump in her throat, shaking her head. "Go without me. I'll be fine, okay? Just get there before it's too late."

   The eldest Salvatore looked conflicted for a moment, before stepping forward and placing a hand on her shoulder, his blue eyes locking with her brown ones. "Goodbye, little Gilbert." He said quietly, the smallest of smiles pulling on his lips, before he turned and walked away. 

   Audrey watched him go until he disappeared, a bad feeling growing in the pit of her stomach. "Goodbye, Damon." 

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

   Time passed by slowly after Damon left. Audrey had felt time pass slowly before, but never as badly as it was in this moment. The night turned into a new day, then another night passed until it was day once again. She tried to distract herself, though wasn't much to do trapped inside of Alaric's apartment, and soon Katherine had become as antsy as she had. Both of them wanted to know what was going on, even if it was for different reasons. Katherine wanted her freedom, and Audrey needed to know Jenna and Elena were okay. 

   Katherine and Audrey sat in silence on the couch, as the door opened, and Stefan walked inside. The Pierce woman was on her feet instantly, storming toward him. "Two days, I've been waiting. I'm supposed to be free of Klaus' compulsion by now. He's supposed to be dead!"

   "We ran into complications." Stefan told her cryptically. His eyes then flickered to Audrey, who looked back at him anxiously. She knew the second their eyes locked. The way his face fell, a familiar look of sympathy in his eyes. "Audrey..."

   "Who?" Her voice cracked. 

   "Jenna didn't make it." 

   "No..." Tears welled up in her eyes, and she felt her legs shaking until they gave out, the Gilbert dropping to her knees. Jenna was dead, and she didn't get the chance to say goodbye. It all whirled around inside her head, causing her to so into her hands. "No. No, no. Jenna."

   Stefan bent down in front of her, and pulled her into his arms, comforting her the best he could. But it didn't help Audrey, and he knew it just as much as she did. He glanced over her shoulder at Katherine. "Do you know where he is?"

   Suddenly, Katherine rushed and yanked Stefan to his feet, pinning him up against the wall. She gave him a look to be quiet, as Klaus walked through the door, Elijah following shortly behind him. "Klaus, you're back. Look who decided to come for a visit."

   Klaus looked at Stefan in amusement. "You just keep popping up, don't you?"

   "I need your help." Stefan admitted. "For my brother."

   "Well, whatever it is, it's gonna have to wait a tick." Klaus mused. "You see, I have an obligation to my brother that requires my immediate attention."

   Elijah's eyes fell onto Audrey, who stayed on her knees on the floor, with silent tears falling down her face. Gently, he bent down in front of her, using the handkerchief in his pocket to wipe her tears. "I'm so sorry, Audrey."