Night Children: Secrets are only secrets for so long Six: Birthday

I jolted awake, I found myself in the infirmary my arm in a cast, my right shoulder bandaged heavily. Viktor was dressed in a tux sitting beside my bed, Griever beside him wearing formal clothing but nothing in comparison to Viktor's. Griever was no longer wearing the badge of one of the Blood Brigade, but one of the Twilight Guardians. A tear ran down my face, "Garrett," I said quietly. I didn't want to cry, it wasn't masculine.

"I miss him too," Viktor said a tear of blood ran down his pale face.

I looked away from Viktor's beautiful face. He was so hansom, so irresistible, it was what made the Night Children's meals easy. Their stunning good looks, seductive voices. I looked around the room my eyes landed on a dress shirt and a pair of dress pants laying on the end of the bed. "My birthday starts in less than an hour," Viktor explained, "are you well enough to come? You are my Daylight Guardian."

I moved my left arm, it had a small throbbing pain under the cast. My right one moved with great pain from my shoulder. Painful, but doable. "Yes, I just need a moment," I said.

Viktor nodded he left Griever in suit.

I got out of the bed and it hurt to do anything, everything so stiff. I put on the clothing and looked at myself in a small mirror, my face had purple bruises, I was bandaged right to hell, luckily the clothing looked stunning. Viktor's scent lingered on them, for some reason the scent comforted me.

I came out and took my place on the opposite side of Viktor than Griever as we walked down the hall toward the grand ballroom. For all the death, the destruction, outside of the infirmary it was like nothing had ever happened, people were speaking quickly. Decorations were re-strung up. Blood had been cleaned from the floors. I seen Silvia looking mighty pale, "Viktor... my mother, she's alright... right?"

"Yes Evan, she is fine, she was under good care the wife and mother of two of the best Daylight Guardians... of course she was under high guard." Viktor said looking at me rather than where he was going.

I nodded, I was happy to hear it. I couldn't wait to see her. Sleep in my own cot... well actually Viktor's bed was like ten thousand times more comfortable. My cot though was home, where my mother was, she lived mostly by herself with the duties my father and I have, but I have those brief moments of being content, comforted by the delusions that she gives me, her talking about how I would look in a dress, or to teach me to cook, or about finding a boyfriend. These thoughts were nice, what normal girls in the village did, but me? No, not I, I couldn't have that. That would put my mother at risk, my father, and me; I couldn't... wouldn't.

Griever, Viktor and I went into the kitchen, meals were being prepared there for the humans of the village, Viktor looked to see if everything was alright, tasted a few things- he didn't really like human food much, he insisted nothing was like the taste of euphoric taste of blood- he found the food acceptable. I had a few tastes too making me realize I was much hungrier than I had previously thought I had been.

I heard a giggle as a girl in a formal dress approached Viktor, she stopped a few steps away, put her foot out in front of herself, toe down, made a semi-circle on the floor with her toe till it was at the back of her brought it in across her stationary leg and bowed half over held for three seconds and rose back to her full height. A proper bow, a very nicely done one. She smiled, her teeth were dazzling, and undeniably human, her hair was done half up, she had wispy red hair that curled at the ends, her emerald eyes flickered under the candle light. Her body was voluptuous her dark green dress clung to the curves and showed off her cleavage, the colour matched her eyes nicely and went well with her hair. "Prince Viktor, how marvellous to finally get to make your acquaintance," she said bowing her head faking a shyness while she looked up from under dark lashes with that dazzling smile.