Night Children: Secrets are only secrets for so long Fourteen: Fireflies

“The blood moon is approaching,” Vincent said to Lucid who was reading a book. Lucid looked up to his king who was staring out the window and up to the night sky. “With the way the Moon Children have been acting lately we can not have anything go wrong.”

“He doesn’t know anything of the mating rituals of our kind,” Lucid said his voice showed off he was rather pissed off about keeping his Prince, future ruler in the dark. He had a bad feeling one day it would bite him in the ass. “He hasn’t even started picking a mate.”

“The women here… they are all so weak anymore. I’ve been around them more and more trying to find someone suitable for my son. Yet I knew they would all die in mating.” Lucid closed his book and put it on the table as he stood and walked closer to his King. “All of them so weak, some kind of disease came in a week ago, a lot of them got sick. I had the Blood Brigade get rid of a few; I can’t have it infecting Daylight Guardians… anyways the women are weakened.”

“But you don’t sound so disappointed.”

“I have a plan.”

“I have a bad feeling.”

~

Alana helped dry me off, I was shy about the entire thing but with my stomach healing it was hard to bend over, besides Alana said if I did it I would rip out the stitches and we’d have to start the healing all over again. So I shoved aside my pride and kept my eyes everywhere but the woman drying me with a light green towel.

After being dried by Alana she helped me into a dress of hers. Since she had taken the time to also shave my hairy legs my long legs actually looked feminine and felt smooth. The dress was a plain white dress that she helped slip over my head. I was surprised that it fit since she was so tiny, but I was very in shape so it didn’t look bad on me at all. “My, my aren’t you a pretty lass,” she said with a large grin. “Lets go all out.”

She sat me in a chair with out waiting for my response. I had a feeling she didn’t want the answer no, “why are you doing this?” I asked with humour ringing in my voice as she powdered down my face.

“Because the first time you are presented to the castle as a human woman you should look appropriate… that and you have a shiner.” I felt my eye it did feel… well bruised. She moved quickly but accurately humming a soft tune that made my heart ache. She begun messing with my hair but ended up leaving it down and just curling the ends into soft ringlets.

She handed me a mirror and went back to the closet, “no ansemble is finished with out shoes!” She shuffled through while I admired her work. I looked… like a girl. Not just a girl, a woman… a very pretty woman. “You know something Evanangelique, your name… is too long” she laughed, “but you look a lot like my sister.” She looked over her shoulder at me, “except your eyes.” She went back to rummaging in her hunt for shoes.

“Really?” I questioned, Alana didn’t look anything like me so I guess she and her sibling didn’t look alike, “do I know her at all?”

She looked over her shoulder at me, “I recon not, she had to have died before you were even conceived.”

“I’m so sorry.”

“Psh, it happens, when your family is human and you live forever, those who you knew eventually all perish. Depressing, but she still saw me even as the monster I am, she still invited me to her home when she was fifty-six. Rather a long life for a woman.” She came out holding ballerina shoes, white ones, with thick laces. I felt like I had seen them before but as my mind grasped the memory was gone. “Aren’t these lovely?”

~

“Don’t kill her.”

“Why not?”

“Look at her.”