Night Children: Secrets are only secrets for so long Four: Blind

"The Moon Children, they are coming!" I heard a gruff voice yell in my ear, I jumped out of the bed I was in, it took a moment to realize I was in the Prince's chambers and the voice was that of Garrett. I moved swiftly opening a trunk, knowing already what was perfectly placed inside. I put on the shirt of light armour, the chest had harder steel that didn't flex as the tiny chain mail did. I preceded to whip on leather gloves to help prevent scratches and grabbed one of my swords. I turned into a fighting stance toward the door.

Laughter ensued, I turned to Viktor and Garrett who were doubled over in laughter. Obviously there was no attack. Just a prank, and I was the punch line. "Ass holes" I grumbled placing my sword back in it's sheath and pulling off the gloves.

"Just making sure you are in practice, damn your fast... for a human," Garrett said sounding slightly breathless from laughter.

I pulled the chain mail off and dumped it back in the trunk that was decorated with a sun emblem, as all trunks of the Daylight Guardians were. They were located in various places around the castle, and in the homes of humans. I looked at the crest, that crest had been my life since before I was born. No option for me, my father did what he had to, to ensure the survival of my mother, himself, and me. I didn't hate him for it, felt no bitterness, no resentment, but I didn't want to live my entire life as a boy either. I didn't want to live my life as a soldier, as a Daylight Guardian. My parents always told me one day I'd get to be a girl, get to be myself, though more and more time has gone by, I've grown older, wiser; I've seen no sign that it would ever happen. No glimmer of hope.

Garrett and Viktor seemed bored now that I could not be tormented any longer. The windows were sealed so I knew that daylight had come once more. I wondered how long I had slept, was it early morning, noon? My stomach grumbled; what ever time it was I was hungry. Viktor seemed to have heard my stomach's complaint, "I'm hungry too," he stated looking at me. I swallowed sometimes when people looked at me I feared that they knew. Feared they had figured out my secret. "Can you get me something to eat while your out, O'Connell's treats are still good," he said with a smile.

What do you say to that? I frowned for I knew what they did to humans, yet I could do nothing to stop it. I had grown up thinking sucking from someone's neck was normal. Still my parents raised me very human, but I couldn't say no. Viktor was important to me. He was the prince, my best friend, occasionally the most annoying person on the planet, callous and cruel; but I grew up doing as he said, protecting him, and caring for him. Night Child or not. I nodded Garrett grew tense probably because he was now one down during the daytime.

I walked down the stairs and into the kitchen. Silvia, a friend of my mothers, was working on a big steaming bowl of soup. My mouth watered, Silvia's cooking was the best; I recognized a few of the young Daylight Guards that I trained with and sat down with them. "There you go darlin' geeze look at you, we got to put some meat on your bones!" Silvia said her eyes squinting as she smiled, she placed in front of me a chicken leg, a bowl of her soup, and a hunk of bread.

I grinned up at her "thank you very much Silvia," she left me to eat. The other men at the table were silent pushing back food like they thought they would never get another meal, but I was eating it slowly as my thoughts were eating its way through my conscience. I was in no rush to pick out a girl to her death. I had never had to do anything like it before. In a fight once with a werewolf that was captured for our training; I had been the one to deliver it the final blow. I had been applauded, awarded, moved up in the ranks. It was what I had trained to do, what was necessary for survival. This was... horrible. I stopped eating, my stomach wanted to heave.

I left my tray and exited quickly not wanting Silvia to think I had found something repulsive with her food. I went to the dungeon, a member of the Blood Brigade was guarding, I tried to place his name, but it eluded me. Not like I cared, I had nothing to do with the Blood Brigade. He nodded at me, obviously knowing who I was. I stared through the cages, the girls were sitting on the floor at the back wall a few were huddled together. Most were crying.