Night Children: Secrets are only secrets for so long Twenty-Eight: Snow

"Angel… Angelique!" I could hear a beautiful voice, I wanted to answer but sleep was calling me once more, I still felt exhausted I curled tighter into a ball and kept my eyes shut, "Evanangelique?" A warm hand shook me lightly, "Angel, come on wake up."

Since it seemed Viktor would continue this till I gave him what he wanted I rolled over to face him but kept my eyes closed, I was absolutely exhausted. Three days had passed since Xavier died, we held a little get together for him last night. Dressed formally and went to the meadow which was slowly becoming a grave yard.

"You were crying in your sleep again."

"Just let me sleep it out," I yawned, "I’m not getting any rest with you shaking me."

"You’ve moved up from just crying," he replied softly carefully caressing my face.

I opened one of my steely eyes, "what do you mean?"

"I mean… you started off crying… then screaming bloody murder." Viktor stared down at me with his charcoal eyes the iris tinted with little red flecks, he was getting hungry. I swallowed, screaming in my sleep, now there was a new trick.

"I wanted to snuff you with your pillow," I heard a feminine musical voice and I poked over the bed on Viktor’s side, there was Arista laying on the floor my eyebrows raised in question. "I didn’t have anywhere else to go. Besides if I leave the Soul Children will probably return with the Moon Children and attack."

"They won’t with you here?" I questioned doubting her.

"Not unless they want to choke on their orders." Arista got to her feet and dusted herself off even thought there was no dust. "You may not think highly of me, but there aren’t many Soul Children higher ranking than I. None of them that would go into battle. Our elders are very… preoccupied… with themselves."

"I see," I responded quietly. I still didn’t fully understand why Arista was assisting us, but quite frankly we could use all the help we could get.

I noticed Griever was on the inside of the room for the first morning in a while, apparently he didn’t trust Arista since the whole lock up, slice, and take over identity thing. Really, who could blame him? If it were me, I’d be outrageously pissed off.

I stood and grabbed fresh clothing, I had bathed the night, well day before. My days and nights were reversed now since I wanted to be able to go outside every now and then. Which I couldn’t do with out Viktor due to the bond that held us close. So I looked into my closet, I felt Viktor move behind me, his arms wrapped around my body which had grown a little in the past three days. I looked over my shoulder to see Viktor grinning. I smiled at him and looked back to the closet. "Wear that one," Viktor said pointing at a smutty number with a v-neck that would nearly reach my belly-button.

"Ha-ha, fat chance," I responded and chose something more appropriate for a mother to be. Or a dead woman to be. I shuddered, my days were numbered, still I placed my hand on my stomach on instinct. I would protect my little one, at whatever cost to me. Just like I had protected Viktor. Just like what I would still do for Viktor.

The dress was something with some extra room for my slightly larger stomach. It was a pale blue colour with a dark blue sash under my breasts, the fabric got lighter as it went further down ending just above my knees. Arista had her nose in a book, Griever who had been looking at us politely turned his back. Viktor continued staring at me. I glared, and he laughed, "I’ve seen you naked before," he said quietly humour in his voice seeming to find my shyness amusing.

"That’s nice, turn around."

Viktor snickered but turned around respecting my privacy. I stripped out of silk pyjama pants and shirt and into fresh underwear and the dress. I hugged Viktor from behind, "I love you, you know." I was saying it as often as I could. I really wanted to leave an impression on him, just in case I died, I wanted him to remember me. Forever. To know I love him. I will love him, forever.