Night Children: Secrets are only secrets for so long Two: Treat

Lucien carefully bathed the baby while Aliana sobbed. A girl. A little girl, she was quiet, she had her mothers stunning grey eyes, her cheeks were chubby and red, she was looking around at everything curiously. Lucien dried the infant and took her back to Aliana, who for the moment had stopped her tears, though her eyes were red and her cheeks had tear stains.

"Hello my sweet child," Aliana murmured sniffling, "I'm your mommy, I promise I won't let them hurt you," her lip trembled and her body started shaking with the force of the sobs.

Lucien sat on the bed next to his wife his arm around her shoulder, one hand touching the soft peach fuzz black hair, his mind working. The savior, the would be Daylight Guardian to Viktor needed to be male. All of the conditions of their prophecy could happen at any village they went to. If female, Lucien had no doubt Lucid would be angered by his being deceived- even if it was unintentional. Aliana obviously had already thought of all that. If King Vincent were to find out... they would all be dead.

"We will raise her male, teach her to act like a man." Lucien said his voice showing he was serious, "if they think the prophecy is true, they won't have any reason to kill any of us."

"How can we let our daughter go through life like that, always hiding her identity!" Aliana argued tears welling in her eyes.

"Would you rather her have no life at all, to die on the night of her birth!" Lucien argued back as much as he didn't want to argue with his visibly upset wife. He lowered his voice, "it's the only way to keep her safe, perhaps one day we will find a better solution, till then..." he trailed off, "what will his name be?"

"Evan, my son," she whispered, she held the child close to her chest and murmured, "my poor daughter Evanangelique Harp."

At the next night fall Lucien and Aliana were requested to come to the castle that stood tall in the middle of the high walls, their son was requested as well. They went in their finest, which wasn't much, for Lucien a pair of black pants, a light white shirt, for Aliana a sunny yellow dress.

Lucid met them at the doors staring down at the child who was wearing a cloth diaper, some light blue pants and a white shirt that one of the people in the neighbouring hut brought over during the night with out a word. Lucid lead them in silently; back to the kings office, the large double doors opened, Viktor was sitting on the ground playing with blocks at his father's feet, Vincent smiled as they came through the door and Viktor ran over to them reaching his hands out for the infant.

Aliana held Evan close to her looking at Lucien then to Viktor, "I assure you Madam Aliana, your son will be in good hands." It was an obvious order, Aliana swallowed and carefully placed Evan in Viktor's arms.

She was surprised at how careful the child was, how strong he was, he touched Evan's cheek, stroking it carefully. "We will be the very best of friends...um..." he looked up at Aliana, "what is his name?"

"Evan," she said quietly.

"Evan," he repeated quietly, "yes we will be great friends won't we?"

SEVENTEEN YEARS LATER  

I sat down heavily on the bench inside the training room, other humans my age were doing the same, exhausted from our training. The difference between them and me? They were all male, while I was just pretending to be. I took off my face mask, I had been teased as a child for having a cherubic face, girly faced even. My long black hair didn't matter, most of the other men wore ponytails anyways.

I put my helmet on the ground and put my elbows on my knees leaning forward; the other teenagers in training to become Daylight Guardian's started to undress, pack up, leave to their homes; their families.