Night Children: Secrets are only secrets for so long Twenty-One: Paralyzer

The order was given. I had failed. If I bore his child the first part of the woman’s order would be broken. Therefore the second order would take effect. Kill Viktor. Kill the Heir. The unborn child I was carrying. I would have to kill him then myself. I swallowed the lump of fear that had rose in my throat. “Viktor,” I tried, my voice and eyes pleading.

He looked at me with guilt laced eyes. “I’m sorry,” his words sent a shudder down my spine. Under any other circumstances I would have welcomed him to my arms, held him, kissed him happily, my heart fluttering with love and affection. Yet now, I felt fear, nerves, hatred running deep for the situation. Viktor was sitting next to me on the couch, holding my face between his cool hands, I touched them with my warm ones silently pleading with my eyes. “Are you afraid?” He asked me cautiously, “I’ll do my best not to harm you.”

“I know,” was all I could respond with. I felt like crying but I found my more masculine side kicking in abolishing the thought. Weakness was not needed, I needed a clear mind, one that could find a way out of this situation. I found nothing but I was done showing my weaknesses.

“He hit you pretty hard,” Viktor murmured caressing my cheek with his thumb. He was studying me, his eyebrows drew together in intense thought.

“I thought my spine would snap,” I admitted trying to keep the conversation off the fact he had ordered me to sleep with him. Which I just realized I could completely take as something else. He hadn’t ordered me technically to have sex with him. He ordered me to sleep with him. Orders needed to be worded properly otherwise sneaky people like me could get away with a lot. My mind was reeling.

I didn’t hear what he muttered under his breath next but one hand went around and felt the back of my neck. While my one hand reached over the side of the couch and I grabbed it. Something my father had taken years ago, duplicated and left around the house hidden and both my mother and I trained to use. I pulled him into a hug with my one hand and he gracefully hugged me back, “my deepest apologies,” I stated before shoving the tiny needle into his spine. He stiffened and fell loose draping over me.

Something I hadn’t accounted for was his weight. Night Children are built lean, mean, fighting machines, they seem weightless till they drop from high up or just suddenly don’t support their own weight. I shifted and fell off the couch to get away. “I’m going to find a way, some way, I just need time Viktor, I’m sorry, I can’t tell you anything that’s going on, but I’m doing this for your own well being. As far as I’m concerned, I’m still your guardian.”

I turned and got dressed in tight leather pants and a long sleeved button up shirt before putting on a heavy jacket and walking out of the house praying Griever didn’t hear me. Okay so I didn’t have to sleep with Viktor. I still had to make sure he didn’t have a child with in a week which means… I held my head in my hands… I had no idea what that meant. I had to stay here right? If I ran I wouldn’t know better. I wouldn’t have to kill him. But the bitch with the blonde hair would.

I couldn’t let that happen. So where did that leave me? Alana? She would be with Lucid who is always with Vincent. I breathed in deep and calming. Xavier? Didn’t know him and he probably wouldn’t be able to help. With out being able to tell anyone I couldn’t do anything… I needed the order lifted. She wasn’t going to take it back… there was one more way.

Kill the bitch in blonde.

I re-entered the house the cold had made my cheeks pink, I grabbed my poison throwing needles and a few throwing daggers. One thing for certain I needed to be at a distance, I couldn’t allow her another order that could kill me, or Viktor.

I walked over to Viktor who looked uncomfortable in the position he was in but weighted to much for me to move. I knelt down beside him and touched him with my now cold hand, “I love you,” I said knowing it might be the last time I got to say it, “I’m doing this for you, so whatever happens…stay safe.” I kissed his cheek and left through the back door and took off outside of the Castle bounds. And into the meadow.

She always seemed to track me here. I took a handkerchief out of my pocket and put it on the ground and climbed into the tree. As far as I could tell she found me based on scent. Just like the Night and Moon Children. If it were true my scent would be on the cloth heavier since the jacket and leather kept my natural scent in.

I saw her. I took out one of the poison needles and readied myself. She came in calm and looked at the handkerchief and laughed before looking up and directly into my eyes. “Sorry love I don’t track that way. Come down.”

I had no choice and came down the tree standing in the meadow, the autumn leaves swirled around us. “What are you?” I demanded.

She looked at me with saucer sized eyes before she answered, “one of the Soul Children.”

I found myself empowered, “take the orders off me! I won’t do what you say!”

“Really?”

“Yes.”

“Pick up your handkerchief,” she said her tone down and I found I had no desire to pick it up. I stood there. “Pick it up!” She screamed looking wild.

And I found a smile upon my face, “no.” And I threw the needle… not the poisoned one but the knock you on your ass kind. She fell face first down.

What the hell happened, why did I refuse her order?

Where did the empowerment come from? I looked to the buried, the girls I had taken care of after their final moments, my mother. Was it the dead protecting me? I believed in no such thing yet why could I disobey her order? I was a subordinate wasn’t I?

I hulled her over my shoulder, light as a feather and brought her back into my home. Griever had his sword drawn and pressed to my throat. “It was an order,” I stated words rolling off speeding up, “she is one of the Soul Children she’s been giving me orders for a long time” I spilled taking a breath. “I didn’t want too!”

“Take the paralysis off him,” Griever demanded. I didn’t have to listen to him but chose to. I grabbed one of the needles and shoved it in his spine. He slowly came too, Griever had the blade back to my throat and my breath hitched.

“Stop Griever,” Viktor said sitting up. “What is going on?”

“I’m not a hundred percent on that one,” I admitted. “She’s been ordering me around for a while, she ordered me to… keep you from…” I found the words came out with no difficulties, “having a child. If I failed and you impregnated someone I was to…” I took a breath my lungs failing, “kill…you.”

“Is she going to get up?” Griever asked.

“In a few more minutes…yeah.”

Viktor rubbed the back of his neck and I touched it gently, “I’m sorry I wouldn’t have done it if I didn’t have to.”

He looked deep into my eyes penetrating my soul with his gaze, “I know.”

“So how is it now that you can disobey?”

“That’s what I intend on finding out,” I replied standing, “Griever put her in one of the kitchen chairs, I’m going to get some rope.”

“Will rope hold her?”

“I’ll stick in some more paralysis if necessary.” I stood tall, even though on the inside I was freaking out a little. My nerves frayed, Griever did as I asked. I feared what I was going to find out.