Night Children: Secrets are only secrets for so long Eleven: Limbo

“Evanangelique,” I turned to see my mother she had a light smile upon her face, she was wearing a sunny dress that looked too expensive for her to own, her hair- rather than being in the familiar bun she always wore it- was down, the long dark locks that I had inherited swayed in the gentle breeze. I found that I liked it here… wherever here was. Her make-up was done perfectly, it took the years of worry off her face.

She came toward me her walk like a dance, beautiful and graceful. She touched the side of my face and pushed back strands of my own hair. Mine was slightly shorter than hers, perhaps a few shades darker since I didn’t get out in the sun too much, I was surprised that it was worn down. I looked down my breasts were not wrapped down, but cleavage was showed of with the tight white dress I wore, it ran over my breasts, waist, and hips, I for the first time ever looked absolutely feminine.

I smiled and took a step back and twirled my feet were in ballerina styled shoes, thick white laces wrapped around my calves and tied into a bow. My hair twirled beautifully like it was dancing at its happiness of being finally freed from a ponytail. I stopped and looked at my mother she was smiling sweetly at me, as if she enjoyed just watching me have my fun, be free.

“Mom where are we?” I asked curiously, as I smelt the wildflowers their scent was exotic, special, but yet slightly familiar but I couldn’t place it.

“In the afterlife sweetheart,” she answered sitting down beside me patting a spot, I sat down too. There seemed to be whispers in the wind, but I couldn’t make out what they were saying.

“You must explain,” Vincent said his voice laced in anger as he spoke to John. His Daylight Guardian, John, the one who he had protected and who had protected him. Very good friends, and yet, such a secret had been withheld, Vincent couldn’t help but shake in anger as he, John, Lucid, Griever, and Viktor stood there.

“Lucid saved us,” John said, “from the twins, brought us here, all said that our son would be the saviour of yours. We know what your kind did to all of our village. We feared for our lives, for the life of our unborn child! You say that the son, my Marianne was caring was important. How were we to react when she gave birth to a girl?”

“And in the past seventeen years, you couldn’t find a suitable time?” Vincent growled.

“And risk the life of my wife and so- daughter,” John had been covering up for so long it was hard to think of he as a she, son as a daughter, Evan as Evanangelique.

Griever looked into the room through the window, healers were around the fragile body, “Viktor… how come you never seen it… hell why didn’t I see it?”

“She’s a good actress?”

“Smart-ass, but seriously, she’s not as strong as a male fighter.”

“So she’s faster than most humans, really smart, good strategist in a fight.” Viktor was looking at the jewels on his hands.

“Your fucking callous,” Griever said as he looked at his prince, “she saved both our asses and you are staring at your rings!”

“We played in the meadow when we were younger,” Viktor’s voice was in a dream-like state, “she kept coming over to me with different things that were red, snake berries, various flowers, leaves- trying to match the colour of this jewel.”

“She gave me this one on my eighteenth birthday,” it was tiny compared to his other rings, it was the colour of the sun she had said, such a gift because she was the only one he ever told that he missed the sunlight.

Vincent was in a huff, he didn’t know what to do, he had been deceived. “What do we do now? I mean to kill you… after bestowing aristocrat status on you would put the others in a frenzy, the Daylight Guardians would riot. Probably assist the Moon Children.”