Night Children: Secrets are only secrets for so long Seven: Women

I walked aimlessly around the Grand Ballroom, Night Children and Humans were dancing, some even together all laughing having a grand time, for it was the night of the Prince’s twentieth birthday. Really I didn’t see it as that big of a deal, but was glad everyone else was having a good time, I seen my parents dancing still looking very much in love. It was the one thing that warmed my heart and made me smile.

"Lovely isn’t it?" I turned to see a petite female about a head shorter than I looking up at me. She seemed a bit younger, but probably not by much, her hair was a bob with bangs, a part of it in a hair clip. She was cute.

"What?" I asked a little stunned, for the most part, no one really talked to me. Not like I had time for a social life.

"Dancing, you are watching them, you looked so happy." I shrugged, I didn’t know what to say. I wasn’t much of a conversationalist. "Well if you look happy watching them", she boldly grabbed my hands and pulled me slightly, "you’d have much more fun joining them."

"I’d really rather not," I said pulling way, when Viktor pushed me back.

"I apologise," Viktor said his voice smooth, "my friend here embarrasses me at times, surely Evan you can dance with such a young beauty."

The girl shied at Viktor’s words but her hands stayed around mine, one dance couldn’t hurt... other than my pride. I bowed to the girl and muttered a half-hearted apology. She giggled. Now I had always dreamt about dancing, having a strong hansom man lead the dance as my dress swayed around my feet. My mother though had taught me to dance as a man as she seen that more fitting. So here was my first real dance. Just another first thing I had to do as a guy.

I felt awkward with one hand resting respectably on her waist and one hand suporting her as we danced formally, she was a excellent dancer, "you never told me your name kind sir," she said to me as we swirled with the others.

"My name is Eva-"

"Sir Evan, like Daylight Guardian of the Prince!"

"Um"

"All the village girls gossip about you," she gushed, "how hansom, how strong, and you are so close to the Prince, what is he like?"

"He is a good man," I found myself saying, "an excellent prince, an honourable friend." What a load of horseshit. He was arrogant, could be the biggest asshole when he chose to be, perverse, he didn’t pay attention to Lucid when he was trying to teach him something... but honourable friend. The vision of him holding me as I awoke from unconsciousness, killing the Moon Child and saving me. Yes he was a good friend. But for the most part, I was telling the girl horseshit, and she gobbled it up.

"Oh wow, I can’t believe I am dancing with you right now," she said.

"And what might your name be?" I asked wondering if it was smart, it was polite, but what if she seen it as interest I simply did not have.

"Colleen," she replied her bright baby blues sparkling.

We danced till the musicians took a break, "I must part, I have duties to attend," I said trying to make a break from the girl, who was kind enough, but I didn’t want the very... well oddness of having a girl have a crush on me. I wasn’t sure if I could possibly deal with that on top of the fact I was also a girl who had to pretend to be a boy. I just didn’t know if I could take it.

"Of course," Colleen responded, "I understand," She bowed quite low to me, like how Arista had bowed to Viktor, "thank you."

"Thank you," I responded bowing my shoulders and head to her before turning and walking around pretending like I was looking for someone when I was looking for an escape. Surely no one would notice one person missing. Plus Viktor gave me the night off; how could I say no to that.