Night Children: Secrets are only secrets for so long Chapter Thirty: Push

I was starting to feel exhausted, the walking was wearing me down. I had a long coat on, Markus had brought it for me to wear. It made me a little more comfortable, even though the cold didn’t really bother me. I huffed and puffed as we moved, Viktor tried to get me to let him carry me. I refused, I was trying to stay tough during this, I needed to be that strong woman to defy the odds. And lets face it, all odds were against us at this point.

A shudder went down my spine, I looked over my shoulder, the castle was completely out of sight, we’d made quite a bit of ground in the past few hours. "Where are we headed?" I heard Colleen ask. She seemed cold, her arms wrapped around her chest trying to keep her own body heat in.

"There is a small village of Soul Children up here… of course your Blood Brigade killed them when they were out hunting for food, so the huts are vacant right now. We can stay there, old magic makes sure our scent stays hidden when we are in there. The Blood Brigade won’t be able to find us." Arista explained before she looked up to the sky, "dawn is approaching, you Night Children might want to move a bit faster, we will catch up."

Viktor looked to me, and I frowned, apparently I didn’t have a choice now, Viktor would burn if I wanted to walk. He wouldn’t leave me, not carrying his children, especially because of the bond. I let held onto his neck and he picked me up by the knees.

Markus, Griever, Alana (who had gone off momentarily on her own to take down a deer), Viktor and I went into the small village, it was seven homes that attached and were in a circle, in the center it looked like a well. We went into the first home and started boarding up the windows quickly.

Once the potentially deadly windows were all covered we felt more at ease. Or at least I did knowing a bunch of my friends wouldn’t turn into a pile of ashes. Arista, Seth and Colleen joined us not long after we got there, but after daylight had arrived. They entered the house beside us and came over through the dark connecting tunnel to make sure they didn’t burn anyone.

Arista was right about this place. After the first three days I wasn’t so nervous, it seemed no one could find this village in the woods. Magic surrounded it. Alana had healed up, she hadn’t been critically wounded, but her lack of food before the injury had lead it to be so bad.

After the first week of being there we had all the houses in the circle village boarded up, Griever and Alana shared a room beside Viktor’s and mine. Colleen slept with Seth down stairs and Arista demanded her own room so Markus got his own too. We thought it safer to be in pairs. Arista didn’t care, and Markus didn’t mind.

I awoke with out the nightmares for once Viktor was sitting up facing me his one hand on the opposite side he was sitting on keeping his balance. His other hand rubbed over my stomach. "I’m becoming a balloon," I said with a grin.

"An adorable balloon," he agreed leaning down and kissing me softly.

"Seriously," I reached out my hand and grabbed his shoulder, pulling with that arm, and trying to push myself up with the other. "I’m huge."

Viktor chuckled and helped me sit up. There was a knock on the door, Alana came in with Griever. "Hey Angelique," Alana greeted me like she had the past five mornings. "How are you feeling this morning?"

"Alright I guess?"

"No morning sickness?"

"Nope."

"You are one lucky candidate."

"Maybe she’s having a Soul Child?" Arista was standing in the doorway, Alana raised her eyebrow so Arista elaborated. "Soul Children have a natural healing ability, I’ve never heard of a Soul Child having morning sickness with their child."