Night Children: Secrets are only secrets for so long Twenty: Panic

“Viktor,” The prince turned his head away from the chess set and looked to the doorway. “Come with me,” Viktor looked at Lucid standing in the doorway. Since when had he spoke with such a dead voice?

“Has something happened?”

“All will be explained, Griever you too,” Lucid turned and Griever and Viktor looked to each other both puzzled by this surprise visit. They followed Xavier had been waiting outside. They looked to him and he just shrugged, none of them knew anything. They followed Lucid to the kings chambers, Blood Brigade members all around the room swords drawn. “Get in the panic room.”

“What the hell?” Viktor yelled in an outburst standing his ground.

“Your time is up for producing an heir.”

“I still have a week.”

“That you might not do anything with, we need another heir,” Lucid said dispair written on his face, “I’m sorry Viktor, I really am.”

“You can’t do this, I’m the prince!”

“And the orders are from the king.”

~

“Evanangelique?”

I stirred in my sleep and sat up as my name was called once more. Sitting up I grabbed my pack of matches off my nightstand and lit one, it flickered lighting up the room I put it against my half melted candle and waved the flame out, the sulphuric scent staying. I picked up the candle holder and walked out, my white silk nightgown clinging, lace at the end. Feminine I found for some reason I liked it. I poked my head out of my room and gasped, my heart hammering with the surprise. “Vincent,” I whispered, “my king, what are you doing here?”

“Come let us talk.”

I followed him to the living room, and set the candle down before lighting one of the oil lamps more for my benefit, Night Children all have superior vision even through the veil of darkness.

I sat down across from him in a small chair, and he sat down on the long couch. “What do I owe the honour?” I questioned a little fearful. The king didn’t make house calls, especially not to humans. My heartbeat picked up racing in fear. What did he want? Was my life finally to end in his hands?

~

“This is bullshit!” Viktor cursed angrily inside the panic room. He felt a little bad for Xavier considering he couldn’t see a damned thing, the darkness was nearly impenetrable. His sight was having difficulties, fogged since there was no trace of light to use.

“Calm down,” Griever said sitting in the corner.

“How can you tell me to calm down in a time like this?”

“Simple you are using up air that our friend here actually needs.”

“Oh.”

“Yeah now sit down, shut up, there is nothing we can do, the door only opens from the outside.”

“What if they forget us,” Xavier asked, “They are looking for a new heir, even you don’t matter now Viktor.”

“Thanks.”

“Anytime,” Xavier was fuming, this wasn’t what he signed up for. He signed up for glory, battles, to be known, to be a human worth something. Not to be shoved into a lock box and never be seen again.

~

“We have a little problem,” Vincent said staring at me, his eyes tracing over my body. I swallowed nervously, “Viktor is failing, you see mating must happen with in the blood moon. And… well he hasn’t done it this month. I need a Prince before my time is done.”