Night Children: Secrets are only secrets for so long Fifteen: Pheonix

“What the hell is that damned woman,” I asked Griever and Alana.

They looked to each other and then to me, “one of the ‘others’” they said in unison.

I raised one of my eyebrows, and Griever continued, “we honestly are kept in the dark too, all Night Children are. All Humans are. Whatever the ‘others’ are only a very few know here, I would bet that Vincent, Lucid, Viktor, and perhaps your father, were the only people to know what the ‘others’ are or what they are capable of,” he said in a whisper, “they are allies with both Moon and Night children, and are more powerful than the both.”

I swallowed, I had a bad feeling, “we might just catch a break,” Alana said with a slight grin, “Lucid is coming.”

“Take the exit on the south dungeon,” Griever said, “you no longer have clearance to be here remember?” Of course I didn’t, a human female, the only clearance I would have was to be a maid or a cook, since I was neither I wasn’t permitted in the castle. My stomach felt nauseous, “go to your family home. We will come in the night.”

I nodded and took off as fast as I could with out damaging myself further. I got down the stairs to the main floor and took off down the south wing taking a hidden ladder down to the dungeon level, I walked down there. The air was musty, I could hear cries of women and children but did my best to ignore them. I looked around, and was surprised that there was no Blood Brigade member patrolling. When I got further down the long hallway I seen why. Near the end by the secret door out, the member was laying in a pool of blood, I put my hand over my mouth to keep from screaming. I looked around, what could have the power to do such a thing to a Night Child?

“Are you the one I seek?” Came a haunting voice you would expect to find in nightmares echo through the hallway. I grabbed a sword from on top of a supply box and unsheathed it. “Now now, no need for violence,” there was a ringing laugh, distinctly feminine.

I walked to the fallen member of the Blood Brigade, I didn’t like them, but still. I flipped him over slowly, blood was still coming from his mouth, his ears, eyes, nose all bleeding. Even his fingernails were bleeding underneath. I stood in complete repulsion of the scene yet there wasn’t anything I could do. I turned my head inside the cage, looking down at me standing right up against the bars was a woman, long blonde hair, startling green eyes, a torn and dirty dress. I stood to my full height, “you did this?” My voice was disbelieving. How? How could she be capable of something like this?

“Yes,” she responded slowly looking at me, gauging my response.

“H-how,” I asked taking a step away from the cage so I was out of her arms reach.

“I told them when they took me I would make them pay. Make them suffer a painful death.”

“That doesn’t answer my question,” I answered fiercely pointing the tip of the blade at her, rather disappointed and humiliated to find it was a training sword with a blunt end. She looked at me and raised her eyebrow looking humoured.

“I’m special,” she responded, “I just sat here, meditated a bit, thought of pain, and it was inflicted upon him.”

“Your nuts.”

“Your still listening, what does that make you Evanangelique?”

“Look yo-… how did you know my name?”

The girl just smiled, “let me out.”

My eyebrows drew together, was she serious? I nearly laughed. “No way.”

“Do you fear them? The Night Children?”

“No,” I responded.

“Lie.”