Night Children: Secrets are only secrets for so long Nine: Anger

I dressed in light clothing, the sun was hot, the air was dry and humid even inside the house. The black cotton t-shirt hid the dark wrap that was keepingmy breasts as flat as possible. I looked down at myself and frowned. It was uncomfortable and didn’t disguise me as much as it use to I removed the black shirt and wrapped my stomach over and over tillmy body looked even, flat and masculine. I put the shirt back on, it looked like I had gained a bit of weight but still not really noticeable…or so I hoped.

I grabbed my black pants from the dresser and pulled them on, my period finally over, my mother was working her magic on the herbs, in essence I would take them before my next period and it would make sure it didn’t happen. Of course if the herbs weren’t powerful enough it could just stall it, and make it come up with out warning, or my body might reject it all together.

I brushed my hair, it gleamed in the light of the new morning, I pulled it into a ponytail and walked out of my room, getting to the door my mother came out of her room as she typically did, “how are you feeling today Evan?”

“Fine,” I responded as I grabbed my left boot and pulled it on pulling the laces tight, mother stayed silent which was odd, I turned and looked at her, worry was in here eyes, her hands were fidgeting a nervous habit. “Mom what is wrong?”

“That… Nikolai” she spat his name like a curse word, “what if he gets the battle he wants? It is all I can think about, I couldn’t sleep last night.”

I pulled my other boot on with haste, and tied it quickly, I got to my feet my mother wouldn’t meet my eyes. “If Nikolai gets his battle, I will fight him for my rightful spot.”

“You don’t have to!” My mother started crying, “you can choose to just give up your spot with Viktor, come home!”

“I can’t… I won’t,” I responded staying away from my mother, I wished to comfort her but I lacked the knowledge of how, besides it would only make me upset, and I needed to get to Viktor’s side, I would already be late. “Don’t worry mother, it will all work out.”

I walked out into the early morning, my mother had never responded, she didn’t even say goodbye. I didn’t either though, my mind was like my mothers, I too was worried of the battle that could be. I climbed the stairs before the castle. There were new people guarding the door, I frowned, so many had died in the attack. I went up the spiral stair case and walked the same way I had every other day of my life, directly to Viktor’s room.

Griever was the first I saw he was frowning, he looked at me then turned his attention to the prince silently answering my question of where he was, over in the corner of his room that was stocked full with books he and Nikolai started laughing. “That kid is very annoying.”

“So is the prince,” I said coolly, “they seem to be getting along well.

“He better not become his Daylight Guardian,” Griever said his eyes flickered from a cool black to a dark red, “I couldn’t take working with him and its rather hard to commit suicide as a Night Child.”

“He couldn’t be that bad.”

Griever raised an eyebrow, “you spend a day with him then, he hasn’t left the prince since you became sick… by the way feeling better?”

My teeth grinded together, Nikolai was really gunning for my spot, even making friends with the prince so quickly, “I am just wonderful.”

“Good, because the King made his decision last night… the castle has been buzzing.” I looked at him with curiosity, “he granted Nikolai his wish, you two battle tonight, at midnight.”

“Lovely.”

“Ah Evan!” Nikolai said a sadistic smile upon his face, “feeling better… rather weak to suddenly come down with something. Not very good. Can’t be trusted to be here at all times.” My nose wrinkled in disgust with having him even speak my name, calling me weak! How dare he. I would be more than happy to fight him tonight. He wasn’t difficult to hate. He laughed lightly, “pathetic.”